Answered

Decisions: Sonos Connect:Amp or new Sonos Amp?

For black Friday, I recently just purchased a Sonos & Sonance outdoor speaker bundle from Best Buy for a really good price that I couldn't pass up. My plan was to hook the speakers up for an outdoor living room type area. Right now, I just have a portable projector and screen, but I am wanting a more permanent solution with a budget tv installed. Upon researching on these forums, I'm now a bit concerned about the delay that people have experienced with hooking up the Connect: Amp with a tv. My Mars Nebula projector has a delay when I connect it to my outdoor bluetooth speaker and it is really annoying. I've seen posts where connecting the tv to the Connect:Amp with the headphone jack works. However, the tvs I have been looking at, don't have that connection option and I'm guessing I would have to use the optical out and then convert the signal to analog?
Should I not be concerned and just install the Sonos/Sonance bundle or should I look into keeping the speakers and selling the Connect:Amp? I then would buy the new Amp. I would be saving a couple hundred $ if I'm able to just keep the Connect:Amp. But I just don't want to run into any issues. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 30 November 2018, 14:30

The new Amp with its HDMI-ARC connection (or optical, with the optical to HDMI adapter - not included with the Amp) will definitely have the response time you're looking for, for your projector audio. It's very likely that there will be a noticeable delay using the analog Line In on the Connect:Amp. If that's a key thing for you, I'd say to get the Amp and sell the Connect:Amp.

I will note that I don't have a Connect:Amp, but I've experienced such delays using the Line In on a Connect.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The new Amp with its HDMI-ARC connection (or optical, with the optical to HDMI adapter - not included with the Amp) will definitely have the response time you're looking for, for your projector audio. It's very likely that there will be a noticeable delay using the analog Line In on the Connect:Amp. If that's a key thing for you, I'd say to get the Amp and sell the Connect:Amp.

I will note that I don't have a Connect:Amp, but I've experienced such delays using the Line In on a Connect.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
MikeV wrote:

It's the same as the CONNECT: ~70ms if 'Audio Compression' is set to 'Uncompressed', a couple of seconds if it's set to 'Compressed'. This is by design, of course.
What did you decide? Just a thought but can’t you line up the audio by going into TV settings and adjusting the audio delay? I could be wrong but I think most TVs these days have that option.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings