Answered

Connecting Turntable to Connect

• 30 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I have a Rega RP1 turntable and a Sony CD player that I plug into an amplifier, which goes through the tape monitor loop to an equalizer and then the amp goes back out to a Sonos Connect.

It dawned on me - the amplifier is physically big. With the Connect, my balance and volume (and tuner) is controlled through the Sonos app.

So really all I’m doing is:

1. Using it as a preamp (and ground) for the LP
  2. Switching back and forth between the CD and LP

So it dawned on me, do I need the amp?

Could I get a basic phono pre-amp (for example) and go straight from LP to preamp to EQ to Connect?

And to combine LP and CD, go

Right?

icon

Best answer by Alonzo Mosley 30 January 2021, 03:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Correct.

What will give the passive speakers the necessary signal with gain if the amp isn't there?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

What will give the passive speakers the necessary signal with gain if the amp isn't there?

The Sonos Connect manual says you can plug a component “like a CD” player directly into the Connect. So I presumed I could go CD=>EQ=>Connect with no problem.

I’m guessing your question is (like mine) specific to a turntable without a built-in preamp (like my Rega). That’s what I think I’m resolving with the pre-amp in line.

@Airgetlam: You say I’d be Fonzie with this setup. I want to believe you! (Should I?)

Thanks!

Since you have an amplifier already, I assume - I could be wrong - you already have a pair of non Sonos speakers that are being driven by it via wires from the speaker terminals of the amp. It is that speaker pair I am referring to, as to how it will work minus the amp.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Since you have an amplifier already, I assume - I could be wrong - you already have a pair of non Sonos speakers that are being driven by it via wires from the speaker terminals of the amp. It is that speaker pair I am referring to, as to how it will work minus the amp.

Oh, I understand your question now.

No, the Sonos went in when my bride decided that, after 27 years of living with speaker wire running along floor boards, she’d had it. The Sonos speakers are the only ones I have. Literally, the only thing the amp is doing is what I mentioned in the OP! (I don’t even use the tuner anymore - I still listen to Philly radio, living in Seattle...)

Lol. Ok. I get the attachment to vinyl, but you may want to consider moving the cd content to a NAS, and further improving the esthetic of the home. No need then for any clunky switch too.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Lol. Ok. I get the attachment to vinyl, but you may want to consider moving the cd content to a NAS, and further improving the esthetic of the home. No need then for any clunky switch too.

Not gonna happen.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Coming in late here. If i understand correctly, the answer is yes, you will need a phono preamp to increase the signal to feed it to the port. For a rega planar 1, I might recommend a Schiit Mani, since it is inexpensive and gets good reviews at its price point. I think for about $129, you will be in business. 

Bear in mind that you will be taking an analogue signal, letting the port convert it to digital, then having it converted again to analogue when it plays on the the speakers, but if that is what you want it will do it’ll 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks. I am attempting this weekend.

But, again, it’s not getting converted back to analog anywhere. It is literally:

Turntable=>PreAmp=>EQ=>Connect.

The biggest question was whether CD=>Connect would work.

What I’m trying to do is get the bulky old-school amplifier/tuner out of the middle.
(Again, current= Turntable=>Amp=>EQ via Tape Monitor=>Loop Back to Amp=>Connect)

Hope to report success on Monday!