Answered

Connecting turntable (Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB) to Sonos Port to B&O (BEOLAB 6000 active speakers)

• 12 February 2021
  • 13 replies

• Contributor I
  • 7 replies

Dear community,

I’ve been trying this setup.

Turntable via Line out (pre-amplified signal) via Sonos Port.

Sonos Port connect with RCA cable to each BEOLAB 6000, speakers set on line.

So far I have truly enjoyed what I've heard but I have a nagging issue. The vocals in all the records I've listed too just don't sound "right". The music is clear and the highs are especially pronounced, but the vocals are always subdued, sometimes sounding distant, almost in the background or sometimes slightly distorted. Same thing with an old and a new vinyl. I'm sure it has something to do with my turntable set-up process since this is my first time, so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions.

Many thanks for your support.

Regards.

icon

Best answer by Antifon 14 February 2021, 14:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

The turntable should be connected via LINE IN on the Port. Is the switch on back of the turntable switched to LINE OUT or PHONO OUT? Have you tried adjusting the Source Level in the Sonos app?

The turntable should be connected via LINE IN on the Port. Is the switch on back of the turntable switched to LINE OUT or PHONO OUT? Have you tried adjusting the Source Level in the Sonos app?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The turntable is switched to LINE OUT:

The source level is set to max:

Regards.

Userlevel 7

Does adjusting the Source Level to a lower level improve the vocals? How about adjusting the EQ settings or turning Loudness on?

Does adjusting the Source Level to a lower level improve the vocals? How about adjusting the EQ settings or turning Loudness on?

Thanks for your reply.

Same problem with:

Regards.

Userlevel 7

Try testing the different settings under System > System Settings > Audio Compression and see if it makes a difference.

Try testing the different settings under System > System Settings > Audio Compression and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.

No difference with:

Regards.

Userlevel 7

Double check your speaker connections to your Port and on the speakers. Make sure the left and right channels are connected correctly. Disconnect the speakers and reconnect to see if that makes any difference. You could also try using a different set of RCA cables.

Double check your speaker connections to your Port and on the speakers. Make sure the left and right channels are connected correctly. Disconnect the speakers and reconnect to see if that makes any difference. You could also try using a different set of RCA cables.

Hello,

Could you please advise me a reference of RCA cables?

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Userlevel 7

For your speakers, I think you will need something like this: https://www.av-connection.com/?PNo=SN-PORTBO20ST

These cables could possibly work too: https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/6-30-av-processor-pre-amp-sonos-to-beolab-rca-line-in-one-cable-for-two-speakers.html

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Before investing in this set of RCA cables, are we sure that it will fix my initial problem: music is clear, but vocals are always subdued, sometimes sounding distant, almost in the background or sometimes slightly distorted?

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

One thing I would suspect, from your description, is that one channel has been connected out of phase with the other. What this tends to do is to suppress any sound that is at the centre of the stereo “stage”, while leaving any sounds that are not central relatively unchanged.

It’s quite unlikely that any professionally-made interconnecting cables will have been connected the wrong way round, so I would look at any connections where you could have made a mistake. The obvious candidates - depending on design - are the connectors at the rear of the cartridge. Is it possible that you have made an error here and connected one channel round the wrong way?

One thing I would suspect, from your description, is that one channel has been connected out of phase with the other. What this tends to do is to suppress any sound that is at the centre of the stereo “stage”, while leaving any sounds that are not central relatively unchanged.

It’s quite unlikely that any professionally-made interconnecting cables will have been connected the wrong way round, so I would look at any connections where you could have made a mistake. The obvious candidates - depending on design - are the connectors at the rear of the cartridge. Is it possible that you have made an error here and connected one channel round the wrong way?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

That’s a very good point, I'll double check that out.

Please find below some additional information.

I’ve been trying to connect the turntable via Phono out (without pre-amplified signal) direct on numeric amplifier (Yamaha RX-A1070) Phono input. Everything works perfectly.

I suspect the problem lies in connecting Sonos Port to B&O.

Connecting Sonos Port to B&O works perfectly on numeric way (TV, streaming).

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Dear community,

Following my unsuccessful attempts, I had to return the original turntable in this order as it seemed defective.

After receiving a new turntable, everything works perfectly with my initial configuration.

Many thanks for all your feebacks.

Regards.