Question

connecting B&O to Sonos, with TV sound through B&O?

• 12 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Hi Everyone,

I’m asking for help. I want to connect B&O Beosound 3000 with speakers to Sonos. But I also want to be able to use the B&O speakers to play the TV sound as for movies you can’t beat it. 

Is this even possible? Provocations I was thinking through..

1. Split the AUX on the BeoSound and have one to a Sonos Port, one to the TV?
2. Use a Sonos Amp and connect the TV to the Amp and the B&O AUX to the amp?

Any help would be greatly received. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Andrew19789, sorry for the late response and welcome to the community.

I would like to know what role the Sonos components will have on your existing system.

Will they be a Transmitter to the Sonos system or Receiver to your Beosound system?

Do you have a Sonos system and you want to integrate the Beosound to the Sonos system?

Also, looking at the B&O Beosound 3000 system; it doesn’t have an RCA port. 

How will you wire the Sonos Port or Sonos Amp to the Beosound system? when the Sonos Port and Sonos Amp uses RCA cables.

A clarification on what you’re trying to achieve is appreciated.

Hi @Kyle A 

Thank you so much for the response.

Currently in the house I have downstairs rooms connected to Sonos, via Play 1’s. Now I want to extend the Sonos system upstairs to include the Beosound 3000 with wired B&O speakers. But as the Beosound + speakers play a dual role amplifying sound from the TV I wasn’t sure about the set up I need to have to enable me to bring Sonos upstairs.

Ultimately i’d like to have Sonos controlling the B&O speakers upstairs (they have amps inside them already), and also have the speakers play a dual role connecting to the TV via the Beosound AUX so that they can amplify the sound from the TV.

Does that help clarify? I had thought that there was RCA to DIN cables one could buy to connect the two devices together.

A.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The Aux-to-DIN cables part is easy: Just send a message to Steve at soundsheavenly.com telling him what you want to do.  I think you want “7 Pin Aux Splitter - Dual AUX / Tape input sockets”.  But this relies on you not playing both sources at once: *automatic switching* between two sources for A.AUX on the BeoSound 3000 is the tricky part…  If you want manual pushbutton operation, that’s easy, just type “B&O Aux Expander” into ebay.com.  (There was even a B&O-labeled pushbutton switch, but what’s the point of paying more unless you want that font on the box...)  Also note that since your B&O speakers are Powerlink’ed to your 3000, you could splice in *at the speakers* instead of at the Aux-In on the 3000!  They will power up automatically, but you then need to do volume control for each device with its own remote -- which may be exactly what you want.  This is “Powerlink AUX Adaptor”, available, for example, from oneremote.dk .  There’s an explanation of these various solutions here: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/13168.aspx

That said, here we are on a Sonos forum, so there’s a Sonos-y answer too: Hook up Line-Out on a Sonos Port to your 3000’s A.AUX input.  Then you can turn on Autoplay on the Port’s Line In.  When the local source is off, you are playing the Sonos networked audio outut to the 3000.  *BUT* because you are using a TV and not a turntable or whatever, I think audio delay that happens on a typical Sonos conversion to send audio to the rest of the house will be unacceptable.

Of all the possibilities, the manual switchbox is the cheapest, but I like the idea of Powerlink-ing the speakers to multiple inputs myself, because you only have to pick up one remote (Beo4 or TV) to do the deed.

@tracker 

Thank you so much for your really detailed answer.

Question on the Sonos-y part. I am assuming this is correct?

I run RCA cables from TV audio output in to a Sonos Port. In addition, my AUX-RCA cable from the Beosound goes in to the Sonos Port as well. Once I do this, I turn the Sonos Port to autoplay (in settings) and the speakers upstairs should pick up TV sound when the TV is on, vs Spotify through the Sonos control to the speakers and vice versa when I need it?

A.

@tracker

Thank you so much for your really detailed answer.

Question on the Sonos-y part. I am assuming this is correct?

I run RCA cables from TV audio output in to a Sonos Port. In addition, my AUX-RCA cable from the Beosound goes in to the Sonos Port as well. Once I do this, I turn the Sonos Port to autoplay (in settings) and the speakers upstairs should pick up TV sound when the TV is on, vs Spotify through the Sonos control to the speakers and vice versa when I need it?

A.

That configuration will automatically play audio when there is TV audio, however, the Port is not designed to take input from a TV, it’s designed for multiroom audio.  Any audio on the line in side is automatically buffered, which means it can sync the audio with other rooms properly, but it will not be in sync with the video on the TV.  

I’m not that familiar with Beosound, but I believe the others options @tracker mentioned will work out better for you.

Thanks @melvimbe 

Would a Sonos Amp be a better solution then so that I can put the TV sound in to the amp via HDMI Arc, and then connect the Beosound to the Sonos via AUX-RCA?

A.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Sure, that will work, but only if you’re willing to give up your powered BeoLab speakers. 

Details: Yes, the TV sound via HDMI (assuming your TV has an HDMI ARC output) will come out of the Sonos Amp without delays, and the line-in from the BeoSound 3000 will also auto-play if you configure it that way… but they will play to the Sonos Amp’s speaker outputs (for passive, non-powered speakers)!  Sure, you could get a speaker-to-line-level converter and plug that between the Sonos Amp and the BeoLabs.  But that’s a kludge, worse than the dual PowerLink box.

My suggestion: I guess it boils down to which speakers you got with your Beosound 3000.  If they are the inexpensive 2500’s that sometimes came with the 3000, just set the whole unit aside as a beautiful, separate, vintage stereo to play CDs and radio, and get something better for your TV, whether Sonos or otherwise.  If they are BeoLab 6000, or BeoLab 8000, then get the PowerLink AUX Adapter so you can drive them with either the Sonos Port or the BeoSound 3000, and keep your TV routing thru the BeoSound 3000 as it is now.

Thanks @tracker 

They are Beolab 6000 speakers. Such a shame that there doesn’t seem to be an easy way of having it all. Guess I may have to forgo a Sonos set up as it currently stands. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

[Edit: @Andrew19789 slight change above after your reply, sorry.  Sonos Port direct via PowerLink AUX Adapter or Sonos Port via A.AUX input switch via BeoSound 3000 are still your best bets.  The first is a little more automatic and B&O-ish than the second, but both seem pretty easy, to me.]

[Edit: @Andrew19789 slight change above after your reply, sorry.  Sonos Port direct via PowerLink AUX Adapter or Sonos Port via A.AUX input switch via BeoSound 3000 are still your best bets.  The first is a little more automatic and B&O-ish than the second, but both seem pretty easy, to me.]

Thank you ever so much. I will go with option 1 and use a Sonos port via PowerLink AUX adapter. Incredibly helpful. Just to clarify the PowerLink AUX Adapter, what does it look like?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

(Oops, mis-copied the product name: “Powerlink AUX Expander”.) This is the one that “beoworld people recommend”.  Of course it’s Danish… click on the drop-down “UK/En” flag menu.  I don't own one personally to advise further; search within beoworld.org for more opinions:

https://shop.oneremote.dk/shop/69116-powerlink-aux-adaptor/4154-powerlink-aux-expander/

The front side is shown in the web page.  The back side is shown on the cover of the manual (see link). 

(Note that the output shown is a *single* PowerLink, which connectors carry both left and right signals.  BeoLab 6000s have two connectors, so you’ll be daisy-chaining one to the other, if you aren’t running that way already, connected to your BeoSound 3000.  (The 3000 happens to have two PowerLink output ports, so you might be connected one-speaker-to-each; no biggie, just swap the cable over to serve daisy-chain, and buy a longer one if you must.)  “People say” this model is better than some, because data is is also carried down PowerLink, and when it sees data (supposedly) it switches immediately to that input.)

(Oops, mis-copied the product name: “Powerlink AUX Expander”.) This is the one that “beoworld people recommend”.  Of course it’s Danish… click on the drop-down “UK/En” flag menu.  I don't own one personally to advise further; search within beoworld.org for more opinions:

https://shop.oneremote.dk/shop/69116-powerlink-aux-adaptor/4154-powerlink-aux-expander/

The front side is shown in the web page.  The back side is shown on the cover of the manual (see link). 

(Note that the output shown is a *single* PowerLink, which connectors carry both left and right signals.  BeoLab 6000s have two connectors, so you’ll be daisy-chaining one to the other, if you aren’t running that way already, connected to your BeoSound 3000.  (The 3000 happens to have two PowerLink output ports, so you might be connected one-speaker-to-each; no biggie, just swap the cable over to serve daisy-chain, and buy a longer one if you must.)  “People say” this model is better than some, because data is is also carried down PowerLink, and when it sees data (supposedly) it switches immediately to that input.)

Thank you for this. When you say Daisy chaining what exactly do you mean? I think I have it right below.. Currently I have single wires connected to the speakers directly in to the Beosound 3000. I.e. Left speaker in to left beosound socket, and right speaker connected to right beosound speaker socket etc.

If I understood correctly, I’m going to do the following.

1. Switch set up to daisy chain one speaker to the other speaker in to the Beosound speaker socket. Question. Does it matter if the speaker cable i have left from the daisy chain goes in to the left or right socket on the Beosound?
  2. Connect Powerlink adapter to Beosound 3000 via Din cable from the other speaker socket. Question.. are these ‘speaker sockets’ actually more powerlink sockets and i should refer to them that way?
  3. Connect Powerlink adapter to Sonos via Din to RCA cable
  4. Connect TV to Beosound 3000 Aux via Din to RCA Aux cable.

Phew, i think that’s right?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Close, but not perfect. 

In pictures: Lay a BeoLab 6000 down on its side and look at the bottom plate.  Then you’ll understand.

In words: Each speaker connector, which is a “PowerLink” (per B&O) DIN cable, carries both left and right channels.  Each speaker decides which channel it will play, with a switch R/L.  You will plug one BeoSound 3000 speaker/PowerLink connector into the Powerlink Expander on its input side, and one of your BeoLab 6000s into its output side.  Then you will plug your other BeoLab 6000 into the first BeoLab 6000.  Finally, you will plug your Sonos Port into the other connector on the input side of the PowerLink Aux Expander.

(Specific answers: #1: no, it doesn’t matter. #2: yes. #3: no, it looks like 2RCA->3.5mm #4: yes, same as you already have)

Close, but not perfect. 

In pictures: Lay a BeoLab 6000 down on its side and look at the bottom plate.  Then you’ll understand.

In words: Each speaker connector, which is a “PowerLink” (per B&O) DIN cable, carries both left and right channels.  Each speaker decides which channel it will play, with a switch R/L.  You will plug one BeoSound 3000 speaker/PowerLink connector into the Powerlink Expander on its input side, and one of your BeoLab 6000s into its output side.  Then you will plug your other BeoLab 6000 into the first BeoLab 6000.  Finally, you will plug your Sonos Port into the other connector on the input side of the PowerLink Aux Expander.

(Specific answers: #1: no, it doesn’t matter. #2: yes. #3: no, it looks like 2RCA->3.5mm #4: yes, same as you already have)

Ok! I think I’ve finally got it. Thank you for your patience.

I’m tracking;

• Connecting Beolab 6000 Speaker 1, to Beosound 6000 Speaker 2. (Din/Din)
  • Connecting Beolab 6000 Speaker 2 in to Powerlink Aux Expander Output (Din/Din)
  • Connecting Beosound 3000 in to Powerlink Aux Expander Input (Din/Din)
  • Connecting Sonos Port in to Powerlink Aux Expander Input (via 3.5mm/2RCA).
  • Connecting Sonos Beosound Aux port directly to TV (DIN/RCA).

I have a similar set up with Port as you laid out here. Works like a charm.