Answered

Connect- difference between Fixed and Pass-Through

• 29 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Using Sonos Connect to stream to an integrated amp via optical. I've always used Fixed for line-out level but now I see another option, Pass-Through.

Tried it, no apparent difference.

So what is the difference between Fixed and Pass-Through?

icon

Best answer by ratty 29 March 2020, 23:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @paul0258 

The simple meaning of Pass-Through is this:

You have a Sonos Connect connected to a AVR (with speakers) that can process DTS audio. You have a source connected to the SonosConnect that can send DTS audio. The Sonos Connect does not process DTS. By switching the SonosConnect to Pass-Through the DTS audio coming from the source connected to the Sonos Connect is allowed to Pass-Through the Sonos Connect (untouched) to the AVR that can process the DTS signal to the AVR connected speakers. A stereo signal would sound the same with or without Pass-Through enabled. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Er, no. It’s nothing to do with passing through surround-encoded audio. There’s no means by which a source could deliver surround-encoded audio into a Connect anyway. It has no S/PDIF input.

‘Pass-through’ is for use with ‘Works with Sonos’ amps/receivers that are able to register with the Sonos API for external control via the Sonos controller app. The Connect outputs a Fixed stereo signal, and the volume control in the app adjusts the level in the downstream amp/receiver directly.

Typically the amp/receiver is also automatically switched to the correct input for the Connect.

Userlevel 7

@ratty 

Intersting. So Sonos “Pass Through” doesn’t follow the same general definition (in the link) to allow a signal from a connected souce to enter and exit unabated

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/home-entertainment/tips-and-solutions/when-pass-through-ability-useful%3F

The ‘pass through’ aspect applies to the control, rather than the data. The terminology could perhaps be confusing.

(And don’t get me started again on ‘disable WiFi’ ...)

Userlevel 7

The ‘pass through’ aspect applies to the control, rather than the data. The terminology could perhaps be confusing.

(And don’t get me started again on ‘disable WiFi’ ...)

Agreed and Thanks!