Question

Connect died this morning

• 21 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Good afternoon.

New member, seasons greetings to you all.

Now here we go,
I switched on my study this morning as I do each day.
Connect is flashing white LED.
Powered off, waited 30sec, powered on & same thing.
Powered off & left it while I did some work & tried again about an hour later.
All apps; iPad, Phone & Mac can't connect.
Tried a factory reset, first attempt Connect went into flashing orange/white.
Next attempt same but eventually it started flashing green - progress.
Tried to set up on my HTC phone, it went through the motions, stated that it had found a new Connect.
Process never completed.
Tried setting up on my MacBook, and same thing, gets as far a prompting to press Play/Vol up, App says Connecting please wait etc... spins its wheels forever, all the while the Green LED is flashing.
Then eventually throws up a not connected dialog, your product was not found.
Tried the whole process o few times now and always ends up the same result.

Some technical stuff:
The Connect is plugged into a Netgear GS752TP switch which is on my business VLAN.
The Netgear is plugged directly into my Draytek Vigor 2860 router.
My MacBook Pro is plugged directly into the same Netgear switch on my business VLAN.
My Phones, iPads etc connect to the Sonos on the Home VLAN via the Draytek router (various WAP's around the house).
We can rule out network here as it is solid & stable & has been for many years.
Only thing that has changed is the Connect throwing a wobbly this morning.

Q: Is this Connect toast?
Q: What else can I try to get it back up and running?

I use this regularly for listing to radio & Amazon Prime radio while working so not particularly happy today.
I know stuff fails I just need to hear if there are other things I can try, or if I need to get this repaired / replaced.

Thanks
-slip

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge +1
Try rebooting your network and then try the connect again .
Network has been re-booted.
The Netgear gets switched off at night when I finish work in the study. The Draytek stays on 24/7 but I have re-started that as well. As stated the network is sound, I have a lot of tech gear in the study including an Autonomic MMS-2A which works fine. I use that for playing content off my NAS as it sounds so much better than the Sonos but I can't listen to Amazon on that.
I have Plex running on the NAS as a uPnP server and all my connected devices can connect to that as well.

The crazy thing is that the Apps can obviously 'see' the Connect because when I press Mute/Vol+ during setup the app sees that to continue with the setup process.
Thanks
-s
Badge +1
Worth a try i had a connect once and it did the same i rang sonos and they agreed to replace under warranty , an hour later it was back up and running , think it was round about the same time i joined the beta program it must not have liked the update . Think you need to ring sonos and see if they can see anything wrong in your network or connect .
So powered up the study this morning and got a solid white light.
Just set it up again and it's working.
No idea why it threw a wobbly after a few years.
I'll probably never know. Time to close the ticket with Sonos.
Regards
-s
And yesterday it died again.
Today it initially worked, then died again - no lights at all.
Powered it off for a while & back on and it is now working again so it looks like it has developed an intermittent fault.
Currently still working, not sure how long it will last.
-s
And died again - no lights at all.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
One possibility, there might be a network loop forming accidentally, some random event happening when everything powers on at once. How is the Connect, umm, connected? Is it physically wired?

When I set up my connect in the new house for the first time, it wouldn't finish setup. My problem is I had a bridge on the router, and a Play:3 in the bedroom. To set up the Connect, I plugged it into the Play:3, and I ended up with spanning tree problems. I can't remember off hand if I fixed it by plugging the connect directly into a router port or if I fixed it by unplugging it and letting Sonosnet do it's magic.
Hi Airforceteacher,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Connect is plugged directly into the Netgear GS752TP.
This is on a dedicated VLAN (one connection from the Draytek router to the switch)
Pretty sure there are no loops as nothing shows in the logs on the Netgear or the Draytek. The Netgear is setup to disable the port if any spanning tree issue.

Because this is on my business VLAN there is no chance of someone else plugging anything in. Although the equipment in the Study is dynamic and can change frequently I do keep pretty tight control over it. Nothing else on the VLAN is having any issues.

The Connect failed at 13:34 while I was at lunch, I unplugged it when I got back, again left it for about 10mins and it has been working since. (listening to it right now)

I have re-opened the ticket with support (UK) and they got in touch very quickly & I have sent a diagnostic so hopefully I'll have a resolution one way or the other.

Cheers
-s