Question

Chromecast to Connect, and multi inputs

• 13 December 2017
  • 6 replies

I bought the (2) Sonos Play:1 speakers and the Connect with the understanding that I could connect older audio components to the Connect, which is the idea behind Connect. I did not realize that for $350 it only has one input! what the? So, I can connect my CD player - that works fine. But, I cannot connect anything else because there is no other input options. what i really want to do is connect a Chromecast Audio to the Connect so that I can use Google Home through Sonos. I know that sometime next year Sonos will work with Google Home, but not yet. My understanding was that Chromecast could be connected to Connect, but there with only one input, its either Chromecast OR CD player, not both. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to run two components into the RCA inputs at the same time?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Well, I believe there are switch boxes available, I'd look on Amazon to start. Or you could employ an old receiver to function in that same manner, it has a lot of inputs and outputs.
And the Connect is designed primarily to stream TO an amplifier / receiver. The line in is a sideshow.
Hmmm? that's not really how it was pitched to me. It's called Connect, meaning it connects your stuff to the speakers. It's a nice product, just a lot of cash for one input option! Not their problem.
Hmmm? that's not really how it was pitched to me. It's called Connect, meaning it connects your stuff to the speakers. It's a nice product, just a lot of cash for one input option! Not their problem.You can assume what you like from the name, but you are still mistaken. It was one of Sonos' first two products (along with the Connect:Amp), before any Play speakers had been conceived, and Sonos multiroom meant a conventional amp + speakers + Connect in every room for those lucky enough to be able to afford it.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html
what i really want to do is connect a Chromecast Audio to the Connect so that I can use Google Home through Sonos.
But Connect CAN do that for you, so I don't understand the grief. Yes, it is a pricey route compared to subsequent Sonos additions to their product range, but you knew that before you bought it.
The line in does have excellent functionality if you have a multiple sources wired to an amp or receiver that also has Tape IN/REC sockets with an input selector on the front panel. But most users of today do not need that because almost all these sources are rendered redundant by Connect. Except maybe the kicks you may get from running a turntable.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
You can buy two into one rca splitters, or an rca switch box for a few bucks.