CD System to Play 5

• 17 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos 5 and am wondering whether there is a way to connect a CD player to it through Line In. My personal collection is way over 60,000 tracks and so was looking for a way for my wife to easily stick a CD of hers in and play it, if required, without the need for the system's original speakers. The system has the two wired outputs from the system and it to it's own speakers. I can see you can buy bare wire to 3.5mm leads so would two of them in to a 3.5mm splitter then plug in to the Play 5 and work ok? Thanks in advance for any advice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, you can't possibly do this. A speaker level output is at much too high a voltage, and it would massively overload the Play:5's Line-In.

Google for 'speaker to line level converter' and that may do what you want.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
No, those are speaker level outputs, many times more powerful than line-level, which is what the input on the Play:5 requires. Can you share the model number of the CD player, or a full picture of the back panel? Or, does the CD player have a headphone output? If it has a headphone output, a simple line cord is all you need, and then adjust the headphone volume on the CD player by ear.
Badge
Thanks. Yes it does have a headphone output as per photo. It is a Panasonic SA-PMX2DB as per the photo and full back panel attached.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Then an 1/8" to 1/8" auxiliary cable is your best bet. Once they're connected, go into the Sonos App and you should then be able to select Line-In as the source. You'll need to try different combinations of the volume controls to find what to set both volumes at for your preferred sound. Recommend start with the Play:5 volume at about half, the physical volume on the CD player at zero, then play a CD, then increase the CD player volume. Adjust the Play:5 volume accordingly until the physical volume control sweeps a comfortable usable range. This will make make the experience as close as possible to what she was used to before, hopefully with better speakers.
Badge
Brilliant, thank you. Don’t think it will be used a lot but great I have a solution when needed.