Can the Sonos Port indicate when it's playing?

• 13 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I've just upgraded from the Connect to a Port so I can use the new Sonos app across all my devices.  I think I'm probably OK to live without the buttons on the old Connect but it would be great if the Status Light on the Port showed white when it was playing but turned off when it's not playing.  There only seems to be an option to have the Status Light on or off in the app. - but that seems to be irrespective of the status of the Port.  So I might be missing something but in normal use it doesn't seem very useful...  

Also since I'm playing through an amp Onkyo TX-NR696 (which turns on when I play from Sonos) I'm left wondering what happens when I turn the amp off.  Does the Port keep playing?  Maybe that's a philosophical question but it would be great if when I turned the amp off, that the Port knew and would stop playing and the Status Light would go out to show that.

I'm not sure of the power consumption difference between playing and sitting idle but I know my old Connect would get quite warm after a while when playing.  So I'd rather know when the Port is in standby if I can.  Of course I can check the app - but I can't expect my whole family to remember to do that... :-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Port does not have a status light to show when it is playing.

I was pretty bummed the Port lacks buttons. I used them on my old Connect all the time. But I bought some IKEA sound remotes ($7 each approx) and these solve this problem perfectly. 

Hopefully someone can answer your other  qs

Thanks - I've found the link to LED status after my post so I can see this behaviour is as expected.  But it seems a bit of a missed opportunity to me - not differentiating between playing and idle.  Those are the two states my Sonos will be in for the vast majority of the time.  It would be great if Sonos added an option per device in the app to show white when playing and turn off when not.  For now I've turned it off.

I did look at the amp after turning off the Onkyo and it does seem that that pauses the Port so at least that's what I'd hoped.

The IKEA remotes sound interesting - off to take a look!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it you need an IKEA Hub too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

As I understand it you need an IKEA Hub too.

Yes the Ikea sound remote uses Zigbee (not wifi) so can’t control the sonos speaker directly. The Symfonisk remote product page clearly displays this requirement.

You can use the Ikea hub or if you are already using a smart home system it may support it without buying the ikea hub. Personally I recently picked up an Ikea hub on sale for $20 for the convenience and the Homekit support, YMMV.