Question

B&O 8000's and Connect

• 25 February 2018
  • 28 replies

Badge
Just ordered a Connect to use with my 8000's. New to the forum. Anybody using this combo?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Just ordered a Connect to use with my 8000's. New to the forum. Anybody using this combo?

I assume you are actually referring to a Connect: AMP and not a Connect? A Connect will not drive speakers. To your question in general the Connect: AMP can sustain between a 4 to 16 ohm load. That's not to say that the occasion dip will severely damage the Connect: AMP. The B&O 8000's per my research carry a 4 ohm load which means they are on the threshold of acceptability. I can't comment beyond that. Below is a link with more info on the Connect: AMP:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/kw/connect%20Amp%20ohms/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxOTY1MTEzNC9zaWQvZlVHY0pHVFNtJTdFNExkeEs2bTJuUHZlNGZjSWtGamZ6aDI1czBrbHJQWnZvaVJYRFJEUGgwYlg4YUk0MlRiVmF6WXg5cWFFNmR1blBBXzd1ZUJBVHRMVkJuSWROWmdjMU5ZaVJpMnRzc28xOHZKellXbEJRcGljMXclMjElMjE=

Cheers!

PS
If you really want to know about the Connect please post back and let us know how you want to use it.
Badge
Thank you for your response, I now think I ordered the wrong gear. Because the 8000's are powered, I ordered the Connect and not the Connect Amp. My plan is/was to hook the Connect to the 8000's via RCA (switching to Line) and running the whole thing on an Echo Dot. Bummer.
You could wire that Dot to those active speakers and do without the Connect.
Badge
Thanks, Kumar. Now I really feel stoopid! Will check that out.
Aimhigh,

If you have additional SONOS units, in my opinion, CONNECT is the better choice. DOT can be used with an Alexa skill to control the SONOS system, but DOT does not do a good job of integrating audio with a multi-room SONOS system.

Note that there will be a 70ms latency (delay) in the audio output from CONNECT. While the additional 70ms is insignificant with respect to listening to something recorded decades ago, the latency is annoying if one speaker in your audio system is connected directly to a conventional amplifier while another is driven through a SONOS player. All of the SONOS players will exhibit this latency. FWIW: This latency is deliberately added in order to provide robust wireless performance.
Lol. If all your needs for music can be met by what a Dot can access, you should be fine. And also remember that you will also be able to play music from any bluetooth equipped source via the similarly equipped Dot and thence to the active speakers wired to it.
Thank you for your response, I now think I ordered the wrong gear. Because the 8000's are powered, I ordered the Connect and not the Connect Amp. My plan is/was to hook the Connect to the 8000's via RCA (switching to Line) and running the whole thing on an Echo Dot. Bummer.

No, you ordered the correct gear. The 8000's are powered, and you can use RCA cables from the RCA outs on the Connect to the RCA inputs on the 8000's.
Badge
Got the Connect. Easy setup with the 8000's and Alexa. My son said "sounds amazon, dad". Anything big and bold is "amazon" to him. Interesting generation. Thanks for all the replies!
Good for you; what are your music sources?
Badge
Pretty extensive music library and the usual streamer suspects...spotify, etc. What about you?
Likewise, but the library sees a lot less use now with reliable streaming from Apple Music/Google Play Music. And now even more so with Amazon Music thrown in, because the Dot will not initiate music play from either the local library or from Apple/Google. Using voice to only do the follow on options of volume changes seems a lame use of voice once one is used to the full voice experience that is steadily getting better.
Badge
Agree with you on all. My library has enough old stuff recorded in some sessions I enjoy so I still use it some although I'm starting to find some of those songs streamed now. Technology streams forward!

By the way, I could not make the direct connection between the Dot and the active 8000's work. Any ideas?
Run a wire from the Dot output jack to the input jack on the 8000. Speakers like these have a phono jack on each of them, in which case you will need a wire terminating in two jacks at one end, one for the left and one for the right speaker. Or they have one phono jack on the master speaker and then a wire connecting the two speakers. I think there is also a switch that needs to be turned on for 8000 speakers to work in this fashion.

See the manual for more on this.

PS: Actually, all you have to do is do exactly how you have wired the Connect, except, at the Dot end, the cable will have to terminate in a stereo 3.5 mm multi jack. The principle for how the signal passes is the same for the Dot as it is for the Connect.
The one feature about this - good or bad depends on you - is that all that Alexa says will be via the 8000 units. The speaker in the Dot is silenced as soon as anything is plugged into its output jack, and in essence the 8000 units will be an integral part of the Dot.
Badge
Hooked the dot back up direct to the speakers again. On the Alexa play command the speakers light up but no sound. Strange.
What happens if you hit the Dot volume button to advance its volume levels close to full? I have found that with the Dot and some speakers, the signal levels of the Dot need to be boosted in this manner for sound to be heard from the speakers.

And ask Alexa something simple, like the time, and see if that response is heard.
Badge
Took the volume to max. Nothing.
Strange indeed because:
1. The Dot is working when not connected.
2. When connected in the exact same way as the Connect that does work with the speakers, the speakers light up indicating that the output jack of the Dot works, because the speakers light up only when they sense a signal.
3. But no sound comes from the 8000 speakers when the Dot is connected.
I can't think of a single reason for this. Hopefully some one else here can and will offer it when they see this thread.
Badge
Thanks for the help. I'm reconnecting to the Connect and go on with my life!
From a review:
"Because the BeoLab 8000 is powered, it can be enjoyed with something as simple and unobtrusive as an iPod, making the beautiful BeoLab 8000 the most prominent component in your two-channel system, rather than black boxes and unsightly cables."
For iPod substitute a Dot, and what you get is voice controlled access to a lot more music. A truly smart update for the 8000.
You also get to add bluetooth capability by piggy backing on that in the Dot. Once you get it to work 🙂.
Thanks for the help. I'm reconnecting to the Connect and go on with my life!
I agree. At an intellectual level it remains an interesting puzzle though.
And of course via the Alexa Sonos cloud level integration, you do get to use the Dot as well. I believe you just have to use the Sonos label suffixed to every voice command - something the wired Dot would not need.
Bad cable, perhaps?
Badge
Perhaps a bad cable. Used the one provided by Sonos. Will try another one later today. Turns out the 8000’s DON’T work with the Connect either. I reported earlier that they did but I was inadvertently listening through the Beo system and not via Connect at the time. I get no sound through either Connect or Dot. Sonos is on variable output. 8000’s are in “line” position.
Ahh...I thought you said the Connect works, so I did not suggest this: there is a switch at the rear of the speakers that needs to be toggled if Line IN is being used. Once correctly set, both DOT and Connect should work.

Cable is probably ok because the speaker lights up. But if you still don't get sound, that is the first thing to eliminate. But before that, see if a smart phone or iPod works, using the headphone socket.
I use the same combo now for 3 years. The looks and easy setup is why I bought the 8000's and the connect. No problem from the begining. Just plug and play. Switch in the 8000's to the down position on both speakers (line in) and they will automaticaly switch on when a signal is provided throug the RCA's.