Answered

Automatic switching to Line In isn't working?

• 20 December 2017
  • 2 replies

The Line In on one of my Connect Amps, to which a Dot is wired, is set to Autoplay. With grouped speakers also checked. It works fine except when switching back to the Dot after music play via the app. Not only will the wired to Line In Dot not override music playing when given a voice command, music play does not start via the Dot even after the earlier music play is stopped using the app. And even after the queue is cleared via the app. When I pulled out the audio wire from the Dot, music was playing, heard via its speaker in response to the command it had received; plugged the wire back, but no music play. It took pressing the start/stop button on the Connect Amp and three flashes of the green light before music from the wired Dot started. There is no trouble in the reverse direction, in starting music from the app after the Dot is commanded to stop.

Is this normal? Should the Line In set to Autoplay not respond to a signal as soon as it gets it?
PS: The Dot signal levels also seem to be low, but I have set line in level to 9 to compensate.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 December 2017, 22:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi, Kumar. Happy to help. If you move the Dot to another CONNECT:AMP do the issues persist? If they do not, then our attention should be focused on the specific CONNECT:AMP rather than the signal from the Dot. Alternatively, you could test another Line-In device with the suspect CONNECT:AMP, to help determine if the problem is with the signal received or with the input itself. I'm curious to find out know what results you get from these suggestions.
Alternatively, you could test another Line-In device with the suspect CONNECT:AMP, to help determine if the problem is with the signal received or with the input itself.
Keith, thank you.
For the alternative, I used my phone to replace the wired in Dot. All worked exactly as I expected it to. When music from the app was playing, using the phone to start music play via the native Google Music app interrupted the stream to start the music it was sending down the wire to the Line In jacks; there was no need to stop the Sonos app supplied music first.

Having established that going back and forth a couple of times, I replaced the phone with the Dot. And it worked exactly in the same way. All it took for the music from the app to stop playing was to utter the wake word. And the volume slider also moved to the level set for Autoplay. Exactly as it should! As did the subsequent command to play a song.

Now, if/when I replicate the earlier outcome that caused me to create this thread, I shall post again:-). I have no clue how to do that though...

Another of those hard to pin down ghost in the machine events.