Answered

Are stand alone preamps vs integrated in turntable better with Play 5?

• 12 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a simple setup in a small room - Play 5 connected directly to a Teac TN-300 turntable (AT 95e cart and integrated pre-amp).  I’m upgrading my turntable and don’t know whether it will make much difference to get a stand alone pre-amp.  While I like the Play 5, this is certainly no audiophile setup, so I’m not sure I would realize enough benefit in sound quality going with a standalone to offset the convenience of an integrated pre-amp.  Have any of you experimented with this?

icon

Best answer by Kumar 13 March 2021, 02:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

These devices are not rocket science, and are settled technology, so where the preamp is located won’t be an audible factor. Pick for convenience and compatibility with the cartridge.

If you just like the activity of playing records through your Play 5, I wouldn’t spend any more money on the turntable or preamp. You’d likely not gain any improvement in sound quality. Just because you can use a turntable with Sonos doesn’t make it a good idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d suggest reading reviews of your turntable and if they say the preamp is bad get a better one, otherwise don’t bother.