Question

AMP to TV for Audio.

• 7 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi to all.  I had a question regarding Sonos Amp and TV connection for use of in ceiling speakers.  Presently, i have full use of the in ceiling speakers for music but wanted to see if there is any way possible to connect the Sonos AMP to the TV via Cat 6 Ethernet line?  Would an expert connect which converts Cat 6 cable to HDMI be the only solution ?  Simply seeking a way to use the Ethernet line that is already ran and existing between TV and AMP so that viewings may be heard over the ceiling speakers.  Many thanks for the anticipated feedback !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, Your TV won’t send a audio signal to the Amp via ethernet. On the Sonos Amp you’d need to use either the HDMI ARC input, or the analog RCA jack inputs. Depends on what your TV outputs, but the RCA input is stereo only, whereas the HDMI ARC input can process a Dolby Digital signal. 

Thank you Bruce!  Any idea if converting from Ethernect to HDMI ARC at both ends is possible?  I know there are some Balun options, just not sure how effective they can be.  

thank you, 

Miguel 

I’ve seen web advertisements, but I’ve never tried one, so no first hand experience. The one thing I’d caution you on, based merely on what I’ve read, is that very few of those devices appear to handle ARC,  most are just HDMI, so make sure if you’re going to test, the one you get calls out carrying ARC specifically.

And of course report your findings here, so the rest of us gain the knowledge you do ;)

Note that I’ve not looked at this recently. It was likely 8 to 12 months ago that I did any poking in to it, the landscape may have changed. My perspective may be skewed by time ;)