Answered

Airplay or Bluetooth dongle for Sonos Connect?

• 10 March 2021
  • 2 replies

• Avid Contributor I
  • 4 replies

I have an older Sonos Connect that is connected to my amp aux input via rca cables. In addition to all the streaming content and my music library available through Sonos, I want to be able to stream some content from my iphone into this system. The Sonos Connect has RCA inputs, so Im wondering whats a good airplay or bluetooth dongle that can be connected to the Connect, and I assume can be selected as "Line-In" on the Sonos Controler app. Airplay or Bluetooth better audio quality? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 March 2021, 13:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @geodr 

Thanks for your post. I can’t recommend any Bluetooth receivers myself, but see no reason for any not to work. I had a search through the community posts for recommendations - I could only find discussions about them but no recommendations.

Perhaps someone in the Community has one they’re happy with and can recommend?

We have just announced the coming arrival of a new Sonos speaker - The Roam. This portable speaker will allow AirPlay or Bluetooth streams to be shared to other Sonos players. More details here:

It is S2 compatible only, however, so if your Sonos Connect is an S1 only model, they will not work together on one system.

Should you end up going for a device that wires to your Connect’s RCA Line-In, you would tell the Connect to play it’s own Line In source for that audio to be fed through to your amplifier, yes.

AirPlay is based on lossless compression (meaning no information is thrown away) whereas Bluetooth uses lossy compression (information is lost, but mostly details that can’t be heard by the human ear anyway). So from an audiophile’s view, AirPlay is better. AirPlay also utilises your WiFi network, so as long as you stay within range of WiFi, your Apple source device can move around. Bluetooth is direct, low-power radio linking, so the source needs to stay close to the receiving device. Bluetooth’s major advantage is that it’s cross-platform - only Apple devices and software can transmit AirPlay, and only devices with a special microchip fitted can receive AirPlay (like newer Sonos products).

Apple Airport Express works well for Airplay , I have used one for years into the line in of a connect.  They don't make them anymore but they are available on eBay.  You need the second generation one which supports Airplay 2. It doesn't do Bluetooth though.    The Sonos Roam does look like a good solution for both Airplay and Bluetooth but only if you run an S2 system which I can't at the moment