Answered

Advice Needed - Two Sets of Wired Speakers and Sonos Amp

• 3 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have two sets of wired speakers with my current stereo system, but I would like to move to the Sonos system so that I can control music remotely and in different rooms.  I have looked at the Sonos Amp, however most of the time I will not want to have music playing on both sets of wired speakers I have at the same time.  It looks like the Amp does not give me the option of playing music through only one set of the speakers at a time.  What are my options?  Speaker switch?

Also, if I did go with the Amp, could I install a pair of Sonos wireless speakers and have it playing the same music that is playing through my wired speakers?

Thank you in advance for any heip you can give.

icon

Best answer by caesar327 4 January 2021, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Couldn’t you just attach a Sonos Port to your current system (to a receiver) - and your speakers will play as they do now ( I assume you have them zoned) - with the added capability of streaming music via the port?

Thanks for the response caesar327.  In addition to having my speakers in different locations and wanting to be able to stream music to just one location at a time or to both at the same time, I would like to be able to control the volume of those speakers remotely.  In the “FAQ” portion of the Port website, it states there are no touch controls on the port, but could the volume of the sound be controlled through the Sonos app?   If yes, I assume that the volume would be the same for both sets of speakers and could not be adjusted separately for each individual set of speakers.  Sorry if my questions are stupid ones, but I just don’t think the literature about this is very clear

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks for the response caesar327.  In addition to having my speakers in different locations and wanting to be able to stream music to just one location at a time or to both at the same time, I would like to be able to control the volume of those speakers remotely.  In the “FAQ” portion of the Port website, it states there are no touch controls on the port, but could the volume of the sound be controlled through the Sonos app?   If yes, I assume that the volume would be the same for both sets of speakers and could not be adjusted separately for each individual set of speakers.  Sorry if my questions are stupid ones, but I just don’t think the literature about this is very clear

With the Port you can control volume either through the receiver volume controls as you do now  (fixed setting) or through the Sonos app (variable). So I think with the fixed setting you can control the volume as you want to (assuming you currently have separate volume ability on the 2 sets of speakers) - so not sure if that would solve your concern.  I use fixed. Works perfectly - I can pick the music from the app and adjust volume with my receiver’s remote (but I have only one set of speakers attached to my receiver). There is also “pass through” setting - but that is not always available/ supported on the amp or receiver. Here’s the info from Sonos::

Line-Out Levels

You can change the way you control the volume of your Port using the Line-Out Level settings.

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the  Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Select the room with your Port or Connect.
  4. Tap Line-Out Levels and choose one of the options.

Fixed

Set Port’s line-out level to Fixed if you want to control the volume exclusively from your amplifier or receiver. You won’t be able to use the Sonos app to adjust the volume or equalization settings.

Variable

When Port’s line-out level is set to Variable, you can use the Sonos app to adjust the volume.

Pass-Through

When Port’s line-out level is set to Pass-Through, Port stays at a fixed volume and sends volume commands to amplifiers that support pass-through. You can control volume using the Sonos app,

Thank you for the in-depth information!!  Super helpful!!!