Turntable with Sonos Beam

• 15 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi. Is there a way of connecting a turntable to the Beam without using Connect, Connect amp or Play 5? If so, do you know of a recommended turntable? I was looking at this https://www.johnlewis.com/audio-technica-at-lp60-usb-turntable/p2025597 - it has RCA connect - can you not connect via HDMI with a RCA – HDMI converter?
Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Any turntable could be used. You'd need a device to take the data from the pre-amp (either in the turntable, or as an add-on) and convert the data to HDMI or Optical. That's likely to be the sticking point, although I suppose there are such devices out there. RCA to HDMI/ARC or RCA to optical. I think Flexson makes the latter, and if they do, there's likely to be several hundred others from various manufacturers on Amazon or similar websites. OK, maybe not hundreds, but a dozen or two.
Thanks for the advice. My aim is to get great sound from my TV, a wireless stereo, Alexa and able to play recorded on a turntable.. all for under £600. The turntable I’m buying has a built in pre amp. I guess if the digital converter doesn’t work, I’ll have to get a Sonos Connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Used Connects are available on eBay for circa £200. All three of mine were obtained this way, and I've had no problems with them.