Question

Sonos Amp with Playbar

• 20 June 2019
  • 4 replies

I currently have in my living rooms a sonos playbar, sub and 2 ones, but I bought a sonos amp and 2 ceiling speakers to give it a cleaner look. Will it still be true 5.1 surround sound or should I put the ceiling speakers in another room and leave my current set up?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m not sure I understand the question.

You already have 5.1, you can’t add those speakers to a room that is already “full”. You would need to set up the Amp as a separate room. Note that if you try to play the TV’s sound in both rooms, the Amp’s speakers will be delayed by 75ms or so. But when streaming music, both rooms will be in sync.

But you have another option, if you so choose. You can remove the PLAY:1s as your surround speakers, and instead bond the Amp and its speakers as surrounds, and then use the PLAY:1s in other places in your home. I suppose that depends on whether those ceiling speakers are behind the sitting area when watching TV.
Can you clarify your plan? Are the ceiling speakers meant to replace the playbar, the Sonos Ones, or were you planning on adding them without taking anything away? I don't think replacing the playbar will sound as good (for ceiling speakers) and not really look cleaner IMO. Replacing the Sonos Ones may sound just as good, and how much cleaner it looks depends on your room layout. You can't really just add the speakers and have it improve the sound quality, and would not be able to play in sync for TV audio.

I personally would go with using them in another room.
I guess what I am asking, which set up is better? Playbar with 2 sonos ones or playbar with amp and rear ceiling speakers?

I was going to remove the sonos ones and put ceiling speakers in for a cleaner look. I currently have the sonos ones on stands in my living room.

Thanks for the input
Since I have two PLAYBARs, each with a pair of PLAY:1s, I'd have to say that. But I don't know anything about where and how your in-ceiling speakers sound.

But "better" is in the ears of the beholder. The advantage of a Sonos set up is that you can try both, and see how you feel about it after hearing it. It's relatively easy to set up, and then change back, as you feel is necessary.