Answered

Low volume with new sonos five and pro-ject T1 Phono SB

• 3 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Recently purchased the Sonos 5 with the Pro-ject T1 phono SB. Had to purchase a separate RCA to 3.5 mm to connect to the speaker. Connected and working- HOWEVER can only hear faint music when volume on speaker is set to 100%. Know that is not the capacity of the speaker and after hours on chat to trouble shoot we are getting zero answers. Anyone else have this issue? PLEASE help!!!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 September 2020, 05:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Does that turntable have a built in pre-amp? If so, you should find the switch that controls it, and switch it to “line” and not “phono”. Sometimes that switch is located under the platter. 

If that turntable does not have a pre-amp built in, you need to add one between the turntable and the Sonos. They’re easily available and inexpensive on Amazon, amongst other places. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @hayestn46 

To add to @Airgetlam’s comment taken from a Crutchfield review/promo….

The switchable built-in phono preamp makes this 'table very convenient for just about any setup. You can switch it off and connect to your own separate phono stage or the phono input on a stereo receiver. Or engage the turntable's phono preamp and connect directly to a pair of powered stereo speakers. And you can switch from 33-1/3 to 45 rpm electronically, without having to make manual belt adjustments.

You might also adjust the Source Level for Line-in. My Project TT  connected to a Sonos Amp with 3rd party speakers is set to Level 2 (A/V Component) you might try a higher setting.

Does that turntable have a built in pre-amp? If so, you should find the switch that controls it, and switch it to “line” and not “phono”. Sometimes that switch is located under the platter. 

If that turntable does not have a pre-amp built in, you need to add one between the turntable and the Sonos. They’re easily available and inexpensive on Amazon, amongst other places. 

Thank you!!!!!! It’s playing and audible!!! Crazy Sonos trouble shoot couldn’t figure that out. Everything we read and researched said phono should be used

Thank you!!!!!! It’s playing and audible!!! Crazy Sonos trouble shoot couldn’t figure that out. Everything we read and researched said phono should be used

@hayestn46  - What you have read is that a phono pre-amp is needed.  The ‘line’ setting on the turntable uses your built-in phono pre-amp so that the output to Sonos is at line level, which is what it requires.  With the setting on ‘phono’ as you had it, you were telling your turntable NOT to use the built-in phono pre-amp and to output to an external phono pre-amp, which you don’t have.  Please read the turntable manual.

There is no way a Sonos troubleshoot could detect this - it is nothing to do with Sonos, and everything to do with having a setting wrong on your turntable.  Sonos just does what it can with what you feed it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not agree Sonos should have to detect this. It’s just the first question support should ask when this complaint is supported. As @Airgetlam did……..

Hello 

I’ve ordered and received the  pro-ject T1 phono SB turntable and the sonos5 :

• 1 cable RCA to  RCA with headphone jack adapter was included in the turntable box
  •  1 have received another cable separatly (white one RCA to headphone jack)

the 1st one doesn’t work and with the 2nd one the sound is very very low even when I change the settings in the app.

Any recommandation? 

I ordered this bundle (turntable + sonso5) as it was supposed not to require any amp.

I’m a bit lost :(

Is there a switch on the turntable that is labeled Phono/Line? Without looking at the manual itself, I’m not sure, but if there is one, it’s either on the back of the turntable, or under the platter. That needs to be switched to Line, instead of Phono. If you find it, and it’s already on Line, switch it back to Phono, then again to Line. You may then need to look at the line in settings in the Sonos controller, and adjust them as well.

If there isn’t such a switch, then it’s likely you need to add a pre-amp between the turntable, which has a Phono level output, and the Sonos, to get the signal to Line level, which is what the Sonos is looking for. 

Page 7 of the manual for the T-1 suggests it’s only Phono output, so that device would need a pre-amp. 

Page 8 of the manual suggests the T-1 SB has a pre-amp built in. So flipping it to Line would be the solution. 

Page 9 suggests that the T-1 BT is similarly equipped as the SB, with the built in pre-amp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@etallo Since you do not state what you yourself have already tried to correct this, I agree with @Airgetlam that you probably have to turn on the internal preamp:

Manual: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/T1_T1_Phono_SB_T1_BT_Manual.pdf

thanks a lot guys, i’ll check this at home!!

thanks for your precious help, it’s working great!

I should have read more than twice the manual...sorry

thks again