Answered

Connecting 2 x single stereo speakers to Connect Amp

• 13 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Sonos Connect Amp to power bathroom ceiling speakers. As I only need one speaker in the bathroom, I have decided to run the second channel to another single speaker in an adjoining bathroom. I understand I won’t be able to play music to each bathroom separately but I’m wondering how I wire these speakers so that each single speaker plays both L and R channels (Dual mono is what I think it’s called but only available on newest Sonos Amp, not the connect)

Ideally I’d still want to be able to pan audio entirely to just the one speaker if I had to. I just need the amp to output both L and R channels through the single output.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 13 January 2021, 15:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sorry I should’ve explained better. There will only be 2 speakers total. One in each bathroom.

My mistake.  Though as you have covered, there are dual channel single speakers that will give you what you wish. 

Have you already purchased your ceiling speakers?  If not, then get a stereo speakers, which will have the left and right channels in the single speaker.  You won’t have to be concerned with trying to create mono and will get a better sounding speaker for the space.  You can then follow the 4 speaker setup jgatie mentioned….even though you technically are using 2 speakers.

If you want the ability to turn off or control volume for each space separately, you can get a speaker switch.  Of course, you won’t be able to control that through Sonos.  You would need a second amp for that.

No I have not bought my speakers yet, just the amp, so that sounds like the best solution for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions

Have you already purchased your ceiling speakers?  If not, then get a stereo speakers, which will have the left and right channels in the single speaker.  You won’t have to be concerned with trying to create mono and will get a better sounding speaker for the space.  You can then follow the 4 speaker setup jgatie mentioned….even though you technically are using 2 speakers.

If you want the ability to turn off or control volume for each space separately, you can get a speaker switch.  Of course, you won’t be able to control that through Sonos.  You would need a second amp for that.

Given that the Connect:Amp doesn’t include the feature to play mono output via both channels, I can only think of three ways to achieve what you want to do:

1. Convert to mono at source (i.e. convert the source music files to mono)
  2. Add extra circuitry on the output side to convert to mono - obviously this would be easier with a Connect rather than a Connect:Amp, as it has line level outputs that you could take to an external processor/amp and then on to the speakers
  3. Upgrade to the current Amp product.

Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking my best option is a mix of both answers. Buy single speakers that can take a stereo input and have 2 tweeters per single unit and then connect another speaker as if I was wiring 4 speakers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Given that the Connect:Amp doesn’t include the feature to play mono output via both channels, I can only think of three ways to achieve what you want to do:

1. Convert to mono at source (i.e. convert the source music files to mono)
  2. Add extra circuitry on the output side to convert to mono - obviously this would be easier with a Connect rather than a Connect:Amp, as it has line level outputs that you could take to an external processor/amp and then on to the speakers
  3. Upgrade to the current Amp product.

Sorry I should’ve explained better. There will only be 2 speakers total. One in each bathroom.

See this link on how to wire four speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4730?language=en_US

You would need to wire the Left and Right terminals to both speakers.  You will not be able to pan from one to the other, though.