Update News

Sonos 11.1 Brings Sonos Radio

Sonos 11.1 Brings Sonos Radio
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies

We’re proud to announce the launch of Sonos Radio, the premier radio experience on Sonos.  This is a free, ad-supported streaming radio service available to Sonos customers, offering access to an extensive assortment of music, news, live sports and more. 

Sonos Radio connects you with radio stations from around the world, with over 60,000 broadcast radio stations brought together in an easy to use interface. You can also use Sonos Radio to access radio services from our partners, such as iHeartRadio in North America, with more on the way. 

Sonos Radio features exclusive Sonos Stations, 30 genre-based stations based off of the music our owners listen to most. Get quick access to music with stations designed to complement the things you do at home, like getting ready in the morning, relaxing, working from home, cooking, and more.

Broadcasting from our Sonos Store in New York City, Sonos Sound System is the destination for music discovery and sonic inspiration. You can find Sound System along with our exclusive artist-curated stations under Sonos Presents in the app. 

Learn more here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/482

162 replies

How about you reply to my messages about my play base and play1 speakers not working we paid alot of money for the speakers we deserve some customer service

Really enjoying the Encyclopedia of Brittany station… pretty eclectic. 

Can I use Sonos Radio in egypt ??

I immediately went looking for the David Byrne show, “Here Comes Everybody.” But I cannot find it in the archive, or search, it isn’t in with the “Sonos Presents” artists like Thom Yorke or the Third Man channel. I can’t even find when the new episodes air if it is live only.

How the heck do I find this show, it sounds amazing!!??!!??

Many thanks for anyone with answers.

Sonos - you had a great thing with Sonos Radio until you put advertisements. Now it sucks. It’s great listening to Classical and be interrupted by a crappy jingle for Crest toothpaste. Damn. 

When are Sonos Stations and Sonos Presents being available in Poland?

Please strike Radio Hour and other artist interviews from Sonos raison channel “Sound System.”   When I tune to this channel, I want to hear music — not talk, etc.  If Sonos finds that artist interviews appeal to listeners, perhaps you could separate Sound System into a “Sonos Artists Showcase” and an exclusively-music channel?  ...and please don’t bring in a Thom Yorke session, when you already have a completely-Thom Yorke channel.  If we want to hear Thom or other content that Sonos offers on exclusive channels, we can tune to those channels.

im already playing Sonos Radio more often than Spotify.  Provide enough varied content, and add download capability for offline listening and many of us may opt to pay for a Sonos subscription service. 

Will there ever be an option to get rid of the advertisements in between songs?

Lack of advertisement (and annoying radio hosts) is single most important reason why i have switched from traditional radio channels to paid online music streaming. I generally like the idea of Sonos curated radio stations. But please give us the option to somehow opt-out of the ad interruption. 🙏 Maybe finance the channels in a different way or offer an affordable subscription.

There’s no search within the Sonos Radio browse tab, but if you click onto the search tab and start looking for radio stations, Sonos Radio results will show up in there.

Ryan. Search does not return any Sonos Radio products for me (Sonos App on Android, all up to latest releases). I'm struggling to use Sonos Radio - BBC stations are excruciatingly awkward to find, and there doesnt seem to be a way to save them in a "MyStations" list in the player once I've been through the pain - I need to go through the pain every time I change station. Why?

Badge +1

I’m unable to add any local stations to My Sonos. How come?

Hi, I really like Sonos Stations. I seem to have an issue with the app. On my iPhone (app version 11.1) I can only see 12 stations in 3 groups of four. On my iMac I can see all 31 stations. Is this how it’s supposed to be?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Stations are not a radio station.

I guess we’ll have to disagree on this.  It seems to me that the SONOS radio stations are closer to a playlist than an over the air broadcast. 

My brief use of Sonos Radio suggests you’re both correct…

That is, there are some genuine “live playing” radio stations (I was just listening to BBC Radio 6 Music, and it was their live broadcast) and some pre-recorded “on demand” programmes.

For the latter, such as Sonos own curated-by type shows, it would be nice to see an indication of how far into/ how long the programme is, and see track information as it plays.

I started listening to one, but had to pause it to take care of something. When I came back to it, I couldn’t pick up where I left off, and with no ability to skip what I had already listened to.. well.. I’ll never hear the end of that show.

Badge +2

Hi, Sonos Radio is good, however, what about the searching of stations? It doesn’t work well. When I wanna search for station (Czech station, eg Rádio BLANÍK), it doesn’t find (sometimes) what I’ve been searching for. However on the Sonos Website, it find’s the station ok. The station is not even when I browse the stations by region...

I don’t like the talking on your new Sonos Radio. Very annoying to be all relaxed and chilling them have some person start talking. Very un cool. Offer a comment free version please

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing bjw10. We’re excited about these early steps with Sonos Radio and what we might be able to build with it over time. To begin with, we’ve got partnerships with content creators and curators with some great first offerings. There will be more to come in the future as the service develops.

We weren’t able to bring Sonos Radio to the CR200, for the same reasons that the upcoming changes to the legacy devices is happening. These older devices simply don’t have the memory or processing power to handle new functionality. Legacy devices will keep on working, and we’ll keep providing fixes and security updates when possible, but the hardware is very limited by today’s standards. We’ve got all this and more on our article about Sonos S2 and what’s coming. f you wanted to switch to S2 on compatible devices, you’ll be able to separate your system into two systems as well. For more details on using S1 and S2 as two systems, see here

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Sonos  Radio, what a yawn!

Quite excited when I saw the announcement and added it to my system. Tried every channel and completely unimpressed. Just deleted it alL and will continue as before. 
Very disappointed to see it wouldn’t work with my 2 CR200s - “unable to play music”.

Still think the move to Sonos 2 is a dog’s breakfast and I now have >£1,000 of Sonos kit which I cant use it If I want to stay current. 30% off more kit I don’t need is no solution!!!!!

I’d guess that advertising will appear to pay the music royalties, but I assume that Sonos Radio is designed to sell more units and keep customers in the echo system. This would make a subscription unlikely, although a small monthly fee to remove ads could, I suppose, be an option but I’d think uptake would be low as why not pay for a streaming service?

I can see the ‘sell more units’ angle.  For new customers who don’t have a streaming service (do those still exist?), it’s a free service that you get without effort.  For existing customers, perhaps they get hooked on Sonos radio, and decide to replace other speakers in their home with Sonos just to get Sonos radio.  Maybe?

As far as next steps if I’m Sonos, I would take a wait and see attitude.   They need to get the usage data established in order to get more advertisers and higher rates.  Then perhaps do some customer survey’s to get an idea if people would be willing to pay to avoid commercials...and how that effects ad revenue.  What features do they need to have in order to get paid subscriptions?

I do agree that selling speakers and having music services allows a certain amount of leverage, something Amazon and Google definitely do.  How far Sonos goes with that, not sure even Sonos knows.

I think Sonos Radio is a great idea but it’s still missing a few features. I appreciate it may not be feasible to show a playlist so you know all the songs coming up on a particular station but it would be good to see the next song at least.

Also can you add the length of each track so it displays while the song is playing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I would expect for something like that to happen, you’d either get advertising in between pieces, or need to pay a subscription. I’m certain there are certain costs involved in presenting the content, right now it would, I expect, showing as a marketing cost. 

I’d guess that advertising will appear to pay the music royalties, but I assume that Sonos Radio is designed to sell more units and keep customers in the echo system. This would make a subscription unlikely, although a small monthly fee to remove ads could, I suppose, be an option but I’d think uptake would be low as why not pay for a streaming service?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m slightly confused: every Wednesday there’s a curated hour on Sound System. What times are they on? It was just starting when I turned on, but I didn’t look at the time, does it play the first time you tune in, or is it scheduled?

As for the programme itself I enjoyed it. I won’t pretend to know who JPEGMAFIA is, but a nice eclectic playlist at the end. I hope there’s going to be some more regular content. 

A criticism I’d have for the Genre Stations is, if you live in the U.K. you will find stations like Indie Gold and Punk Riot very American centric. Sadly to my ears most of Punk Riot is unlistenable.  

I would expect for something like that to happen, you’d either get advertising in between pieces, or need to pay a subscription. I’m certain there are certain costs involved in presenting the content, right now it would, I expect, showing as a marketing cost. 

While listening to Sonos Stations (Classical), I was annoyed by the announcement stating the station every so often.  It would be great if I can add these stations to my rotation, but would only be if it’s 100% music.  On a positive note, I’m looking forward to using Sonos Radio as an alternative to TuneIn.

Have you tried deleting the app, then downloading a fresh copy, as I suggested?

Conversely, you might submit a system diagnostic, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I would expect that they would appreciate some hard data to look at in order to resolve this issue. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Settings > Services & Voice 

Listed below Music & Content should be Sonos Radio, if both the controller and the speakers are on version 11.1. When you click on Sonos Radio, you should have a ‘remove account’.

Strangely enough, you first have to authorise Sonos Radio before the ‘remove account’ option appears.

However, ‘remove account’ does not remove Sonos Radio under Browse. Pretty annoying.

And the reason I suspect the former is that it may have been a marketing decision to show the option, even if it isn’t initially authorized. I suspect authorizing, then deauthorize will remove the shown option.