Hardware News

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, 

I have a 4 months old stereo pair gen2 with the SUB gen2.

What is the main differences between these updated models? 

Only memory and CPU in the SUB?

Same drivers?

Only aesthetically differences play5gen2 and the Five?

Same drivers?

And the better question, will the sound quality be exactly the same with the Gen2 pair and SUB Gen2

as with a Gen3 pair and SUB Gen3? Will you be able to hear improvements in sound?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I'm sure if they can find room for mics in a Play 1 there is room in a Five.

I just think it was a choice they made - a strange one for me that you need another device (grouped or close by) to use Voice control on their latest product - especially considering the Arc has it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t know about you guys, but I use my Play:5 2nd gen mostly for airplaying music from my mac/ios device and very frequently the sounds stutters, pauses for few sec. and resumes, etc. This happens almost every time I rearrange the queue in iTunes or add a song to my AM library. There are no such issues when using the Sonos apps. 

I wonder if the new radio in the Five will fix these AirPlay issues… It’s definitely not a reason to switch, but if you are buying now, I think it’s better to get the new one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I'm sure if they can find room for mics in a Play 1 there is room in a Five.

I just think it was a choice they made - a strange one for me that you need another device (grouped or close by) to use Voice control on their latest product - especially considering the Arc has it.

Absolutely, I think the only other speaker in the current range without it is the Sub?! (And the One SL)

My guesses: 

• they didn’t want R&D cost of redesign
  • concerns if used in vertical orientation 
  • not wanting to raise price or eat into margins re additional components
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ryan S

Hi, I have some questions I hope you can answer:

Is the dimensions exactly the same on the 5 gen2 and Five?

Will the Flexson gen2 speaker stands fit the Fives?

If it does, will the black rubber bit be available in white?  :-)

Will a sub gen2 pair with the Fives in a stereo config?

In the new S2 app when it comes, will you be able to more easily swap the sub between rooms?

I have my living room with a stereo pair play5 gen2 and my tv room next to each other, the sub is placed exactly in the opening by the wall between the rooms. 

Thinking of buying an Arc if it is easy to use the same sub between the rooms just by a toggle or so.

Regards:Kristoffer

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I hadn't seen that Verge link when I posted so am surprised that it is an identical listening experience to the Play 5 Gen 2 but can't be stereo paired with it.

He’s already said that the Five can not pair with the PLAY:5 of either generation.

Sonos doesn’t announce features, generally speaking, in future software releases, so he likely won’t be able to answer any questions about S2 until he that full set of data is released. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

He’s already said that the Five can not pair with the PLAY:5 of either generation.

Sonos doesn’t announce features, generally speaking, in future software releases, so he likely won’t be able to answer any questions about S2 until he that full set of data is released. 

I did not ask about pairing them… Thanks though..