Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post

237 replies

Badge +3

@davidblack do you mean this post? https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/in-effect-sonos-have-end-of-lifed-my-4-week-old-move-6836062 It hasn’t been deleted. Perhaps it was moved to a different board?

Hi Ryan - no, I did also post in here to alert potential Move purchasers to the issues around Sono’s treatment of recent Move customers and the impact of the recent announcement

Userlevel 7
Hi All

As I mentioned in an early post I'd been scratching my head as to whether or not to buy two Moves. The downside being that they will not make a stereo pair in BT mode. Long-story-short I went ahead and purchased two. I have a decent Wi-Fi signal on my deck which is where I'd be using the Move anyway. Not much of a beach/lake guy and I doubt that I'm going to a lot of backyard Bar-B-Q's where I have to provide the speakers for music.

However, I do find it interesting that Sonos omitted the feature to make a stereo pair of the Move when in BT mode. IMO if Sonos didn't want to go completely wireless (as this speaker does) to create a stereo pair in BT mode they might have considered a wired link via 10-12Foot/3-3.6Meter_3.5mm cable designating the left speaker as director.

Another interesting point I discovered is that it may have been tossed around to make the Charging Ring a $80_USD option as evidenced by this CNET review. IMO that would have been a good idea to make the price point more appealing since the Move can be charged using a USB-C cable with power puck.

However, I do understand the rational for not making the Charging Ring optional. Sonos probably wants to re-coop R&D expenditures as quickly as possible. The Charging Ring @ $80 is probably very heavily inflated. BUT...people are more willing to pay for an object that looks more refined/integrated than a simple cable.

Really looking forward to getting my Moves to put them through the paces and report back with my opinion. BTW, I'm putting my two white Play 3's on eBay to offset some of the out-of-pocket cost for the Move's. 😉

Edit: The Charging Ring at $80 (as suggested by the CNET review) is 20% of the Move's cost. Relegating the Charging Ring to an optional accessory reduces the cost of the Move to $319.20 or as a more sellable retail price point of $320.99. That makes the move an almost 1 to 1 replacement at price point for the Play 3 which sold at $299. In the words of the late Arte Johnson..."Very Interesting"

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Can't wait !!! Pre-ordered the first day you were able to do so.... Now my daughter will be happy with a Bluetooth speaker out by our pool. Excellent MOVE (Pardon the Pun) by Sonos. Speaker #11
One thing I'm not that crazy about is the charging ring. It's good in the sense that the speaker fits in there easily, but there isn't any snap or click feedback to let you know that it's there and charging. Maybe it's something that I'll get used to, but everything else I have with batteries gives me some feedback that's it's actually charging when I think it is. I know there's a light shining through the grill to let me know it's charging, but I really don't want to look at it.

Not all the crazy about how the ring looks without the speaker on it. Although it's sturdy, it doesn't look very substantial, and doesn't hide the power cord at all. The last is probably not a big deal depending on where you place the ring.

I've said this before, but I really want a wall mounting solution for the Move. The Move's at it's best when it's not docked, and I really don't want the ring to take up valuable space on a table or counter. Hopefully we'll see one soon.

And one other thing I forgot to mention, when looking at first images of the Move, I didn't like how the capacitive controls were pushed forward, not in the middle where they make more sense for swiping. After holding the Move, you can see why that was done. Your thumb or palm could easily hit a button if it was centered. Controls moved to front prevents that from happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The online reviews i have seen mention that the shape of the ring means that the speaker will always seat itself in the correct place for proper charging. Any click or magnetism would mean the base comes with you when you lift the move. I like that, even if the empty base is not an object of beauty! Inductive charging would have been a nice option though.

I've yet to see one in the flesh but it's already on my Santas wishlist 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ryan S - are there any accessories coming out? I need some sort of shelf/wall mount
There will be some things coming out for the Move, but we haven't specifically announced what yet, so I'll the best I can give you a generic "Yes." I'll make sure the team knows there's interest in a shelf or wall mount though.

And of course, if an accessory you're looking for doesn't come out with the first batch, there may always be more to come. Perhaps one of the other companies out there that makes Sonos accessories will see a gap and decide to build something to fill it.
Badge +3

davidblack,
Just a different viewpoint from me..!

I have two Sonos ‘Move’ speakers and some old legacy Sonos speakers too ... no regrets here whatsoever.

I will likely shift mine to the ‘modern’ setup when that happens in May. 

I don’t see the point in whinging about a speaker that’s portable and designed to move around, out & about the home anyway.

The speaker is a great portable sound system on its own, one of the best on the market, I think. 

My glass is the one on the right, when if comes to the Sonos Move…

I guess it depends on how you use them

I largely use my move in a workshop where I am regularly wandering between the workshop and the office.  Office has two “legacy” products.

There is some sound “overlap” between the areas so I need to have the same playing in both areas.

I need to be able to move the unit around the workshop and I don’t have spare power points.

Hence Move was ideal

If i wanted a stand-alone Bluetooth speaker I would have spent A$500 less 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That’s my question too D)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for jumping in, melvimbe! Right on all counts.

If you have a stereo pair of Moves and you grab one to take on the go, when they get out of range of each other (or one goes into Bluetooth mode), the pair will separate until they're brought back together.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Is there any possible way you could utilize these as a stereo pair for an outdoor TV setup on the patio?

Thinking Roku TV, but unsure how you would get audio signal from TV to Move(s).
I think that's exactly the issue. Sure, you can use them outside as any type of Sonos speaker. But how do you get the audio from the TV to the Sonos ecosystem? You'd have to have a line in to the TV's line out (either digital for the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, Beam, Sonos Amp or analog for the Port, PLAY:5).

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

This is a killer for me. My lounge doesn’t have power to the rear left so I can’t have a permanent speaker there so a speaker I could undock and move there as I need would be a fantastic feature.

Userlevel 7
Move accessories you might consider:

The Move power requirements for the USB-C port are: USB type C PD power with 45W, 20V/2.25A. IMO you would probably only use the port when outdoors away from the charge ring or no electrical power is near by.

Below are links to two products that meet the Move requirements for power and to sustain it if the battery goes down during use. Increased battery drain is probably more apt to occur when on Wi-Fi outdoors.

The wall charger can be used to charge the power brick or the Move itself. However, I see it being used more for the former

USB-C PD 45W Power Brick

USB-C PD Wall Charger
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (like Sonos Ones can)?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I think that's exactly the issue. Sure, you can use them outside as any type of Sonos speaker. But how do you get the audio from the TV to the Sonos ecosystem? You'd have to have a line in to the TV's line out (either digital for the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, Beam, Sonos Amp or analog for the Port, PLAY:5).

Thats a bit of a bummer. I was hoping there would be a way. I’m only looking for stereo, don’t need 3.1 or 5.1, just something better than tv speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
This decision was made based on several factors. Largely, SonosNet was designed for players in a fixed configuration, always on, and continuously connected to a home network. It wasn't designed to handle players moving around the house. Introducing our first portable speaker meant adding new features and hardware for a flexible listening experience, including Bluetooth mode and suspend mode. In order to ensure a smooth experience for customers with these additional features, Move directly connects to the access point or WiFi network.

This is very disappointing for me, I was planning to use the Move in-house, and bring it to the garden when being outside. I have great SonosNet coverage in the garden, but no standard wifi.

I was also looking for an ethernet connection, preferable in the base. But looks like I was expecting a different kind of ‘all round’ Sonos speaker
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So the Move doesn't use the Sonos mesh? I was going to buy one for the garden but WiFi is poorThat's correct. But Bluetooth would work great wherever you can't extend your WiFi to.

How does BT help if all local music is on a NAS and outside is insufficient wifi coverage?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
When using the Move at home as a normal speaker does one remove it to charge? Or can it charge continuously as one uses it?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

Yes that was exactly my question. Have some places where Sonos Ones are tough to permanently place. Would be cool to be able to bring these in when watching a movie or something. Running out of room to place Sonos speakers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

This decision was made based on several factors. Largely, SonosNet was designed for players in a fixed configuration, always on, and continuously connected to a home network. It wasn't designed to handle players moving around the house. Introducing our first portable speaker meant adding new features and hardware for a flexible listening experience, including Bluetooth mode and suspend mode. In order to ensure a smooth experience for customers with these additional features, Move directly connects to the access point or WiFi network.This is very disappointing for me, I was planning to use the Move in-house, and bring it to the garden when being outside. I have great SonosNet coverage in the garden, but no standard wifi.

I was also looking for an ethernet connection, preferable in the base. But looks like I was expecting a different kind of ‘all round’ Sonos speaker

A good solution for Move and the rest of your wireless devices for that matter, would be to use a wireless extender to get WiFi out to the garden. While it's not a preferred recommendation, you could even have that extender wired into the closest Sonos device with an Ethernet port and you'd piggyback all traffic going through that extender through the SonosNet mesh (that's also why it's not preferred). Just be careful about how much traffic you expect to go through that link. The CONTROL (formerly CR200) is the only Sonos controller these days that's able to be on SonosNet, so you'd want to get your house WiFi out that way for that too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
I'd be interested to know why Truplay doesn't work for BT and can't imagine it's a CPU issue where it's otherwise handed off to the cloud.
Looks like the Move is exclusive to Sonos.com. Does anyone know why? When will it be in stores (besides Sonos.com) and on Amazon?
Userlevel 2
Hi all, slightly random question but how does the sound of the Move compare to sound from the Beam For playing music? Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.
Yes that was exactly my question. Have some places where Sonos Ones are tough to permanently place. Would be cool to be able to bring these in when watching a movie or something. Running out of room to place Sonos speakers!

Never 🙂 You could always use a pair of these Sonos architectural speakers, ceiling or wall, with a Sonos Amp. It can be made as the rear surrounds for any of our home theater devices. Or two Amps can be used as a home theater setup for a 4.1 (more like 5.1 with the phantom center channel).