Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Userlevel 1

PLEASE RELEASE THE MOVE IN WHITE! I’LL BUY TWO IMMEDIATELY! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Not sure if this has already been asked but here goes.. why does the battery get used so much even when the Move is turned completely off?

Because “completely off” is a misnomer unless you are toggling the On/Off button on the back.  Unless you use the button to turn it off, the unit is still drawing power.  

I don’t own one of these myself but from what I’ve read from others testing this, they did turn the unit of completely by using the button.

Not sure if this has already been asked but here goes.. why does the battery get used so much even when the Move is turned completely off?

Because “completely off” is a misnomer unless you are toggling the On/Off button on the back.  Unless you use the button to turn it off, the unit is still drawing power.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Just got the move, not bad unit, price is a little steep

and the extra charging station, someone need to work on the number it seem a little out of this world $120 AUD for a charging stand?

This is definitely an interesting product in terms of having it in rooms with lack of sockets (for instance in the bathroom). However, I will not buy it unless they produce it in white

Badge

Well, I would prefer a dropout instead of having to change the move to bluetooth, when I use it in the backyard. With the power that nowadays  processors have, Sonos should do better. I don’t believe that’s not doable.

What other Sonos products do you have?  Your profile says that you have a Connect and Move, but I’m guessing you have others since you’re using Sonosnet.

As for now only the Connect and the Move. I used to have 2 Play 5 before. I’m planning to get Playbar, Sub and Sonos Sl to create a 5.1 system. (Once Sonos decide to update the Playbar :sunglasses: I use the Sonosnet as in the immediate neighborhood there are more Sonos devices that used to interfere.

Have you considered upgrading your WiFi router?  I’m not trying to suggest you spend more money, but if the Move can’t access WiFi, then it’s likely your phone/tablet isn’t either, and you wouldn’t be able to control the Move anyway.  As you stated, tech has improved, and you might find upgrading the router to have a lot of benefits.

That will be my next “move”. I would have preferred to purchase a Sonos Boost instead.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Just dropping in to say I got my Move last month and finally got around to setting it up. Went like clockwork, first time connect out of the box. Not experienced any drop-outs, or sleepy moments when it won’t wake up to a stream. Best of all, I picked it and went for a walk around the garden, the stream stayed connected continuously, and our back garden is 21 metres deep. I was able to walk right around the house, both front and back gardens and it never missed a beat.

So pleased that Sonos finally got a weatherproof unit for taking outside to enjoy the tunes! My Play5 never looked happy being taken outside in a protective bubble-wrap jacket! Roll on summer is what I say, we can’t wait to be rocking on the patio again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I suppose it depends on how long a reconfiguration would take and how aggressive it could be controlled.  Don't think it would have to mean dropouts at all as I've literally removed the source before and it's played on for about a minute!  Obviously, source dependant.

I'm sure Sonos must have really tried to make it work and just couldn't make it happen satisfactorily.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

£80 for a charging base, are you having a laugh? :money_mouth::joy:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/charging-base.html

I would have preferred it if the Move was £320 with a cheap USB-C adapter and the charging base an optional extra

Well, I would prefer a dropout instead of having to change the move to bluetooth, when I use it in the backyard. With the power that nowadays  processors have, Sonos should do better. I don’t believe that’s not doable.

What other Sonos products do you have?  Your profile says that you have a Connect and Move, but I’m guessing you have others since you’re using Sonosnet.

Have you considered upgrading your WiFi router?  I’m not trying to suggest you spend more money, but if the Move can’t access WiFi, then it’s likely your phone/tablet isn’t either, and you wouldn’t be able to control the Move anyway.  As you stated, tech has improved, and you might find upgrading the router to have a lot of benefits.

Badge

I really enjoy the Move since I purchased it on the 24 of September. I always wanted a speaker like that.

What is disappointing that the Move cannot be connected to the SonosNet. I’m using it in the backyard and the WiFi signal is not strong enough there. The SonosNet would be. Unfortunately the functionality using Bluetooth is reduced, no Trueplay neither the possibility to combine two Moves for stereo sound.

The reliability of the SonosNet used to be a big plus. Hope the function will be implemented in the future.

Frank

It cannot be implemented. On bootup of each unit, Sonosnet analyzes/changes the matrix for optimum performance and that analysis assumes the unit(s) are stationary. If the matrix then changes because the Move is . . . errm . . . moved, that analysis is useless and reliability is out the window. You might think they could analyze on the fly, but that would entail dropouts as the matrix is reconfigured.
Badge
I really enjoy the Move since I purchased it on the 24 of September. I always wanted a speaker like that.

What is disappointing that the Move cannot be connected to the SonosNet. I’m using it in the backyard and the WiFi signal is not strong enough there. The SonosNet would be. Unfortunately the functionality using Bluetooth is reduced, no Trueplay neither the possibility to combine two Moves for stereo sound.

The reliability of the SonosNet used to be a big plus. Hope the function will be implemented in the future.

Frank
Well, dang, that’s exactly right. A bit of a SMH moment ... but it worked. Thank you.
I’m enjoying my move after a week but one of the main reasons I bought it for doesn’t seem to be working: the Move is not recognized by iPad Bluetooth. I use the new speaker with both WiFi for Sonos, and using Airplay for podcasts off my iPhone via Bluetooth, no problem. But, taking the Move inside or outside to chill and stream programs or live TV off my iPad, the Move does not show up as a device on the iPad. No amount of rebooting, restarting, or patience has changed the result.

Any ideas here?

Switch the move to Bluetooth mode by Short pressing the rear middle Button. Then long press the same button again till you hear a tone and the speaker goes into pairing mode.

Goto your iPad and open it’s settings and scroll to the Bluetooth settings and ensure it’s switched on and look for the Sonos Move in the list. It will show with the Sonos Room name and select it to pair with the speaker.

If it fails, remove it from the iPad Bluetooth list and try the pairing process again.

Hope that gets you up and running..
I’m enjoying my move after a week but one of the main reasons I bought it for doesn’t seem to be working: the Move is not recognized by iPad Bluetooth. I use the new speaker with both WiFi for Sonos, and using Airplay for podcasts off my iPhone via Bluetooth, no problem. But, taking the Move inside or outside to chill and stream programs or live TV off my iPad, the Move does not show up as a device on the iPad. No amount of rebooting, restarting, or patience has changed the result.

Any ideas here?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
A bit behind the times these days but what a joy to see something made by sonos that we have asked for.

@Ryan S and the whole SONOS team. A big thank you from me and the sonos community.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Rich, there would be several factors at play in your situation, so your experience may definitely vary from what's expected. There's a minimal delay from when Move receives the Bluetooth signal until it plays it, but your Bluetooth transmitter will likely have a delay as well, prior to sending the audio. For use with a projector in this setup, I'd expect to see a bit of a lipsync issue. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. If you do, let us know how it goes!
Hi Ryan,

Great news about a portable/outdoor Sonos! A quick question about the Bluetooth connection, I am thinking about using the speaker with a wireless Bluetooth transmitter attached to my projector in an outdoor movie setup. My concern is with Bluetooth 4.2 and latency, I want to make sure the audio and video are well synced. Do you have any specs on the Move's Bluetooth latency and whether or not it will work to steam synchronized video dialog. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rich-
I'd be interested to know why Truplay doesn't work for BT and can't imagine it's a CPU issue where it's otherwise handed off to the cloud.

I don't know, but speculating...perhaps it's assumed that the speaker in BT mode will mostly be used in an open environment where auto trueplay is less effective. Or perhaps they simply haven't gotten a chance to properly development and test yet. Perhaps a combination of the two.

I also wonder if there are some legal concerns about using microphones in public places where BT would function? I wouldn't think so, but don't know.

Related to this, I wonder why Alexa access isn't available in BT mode, if the device you're BT connected to is Alexa capable. It really wouldn't be Alexa at this point, but a BT mic with the phone, used for whatever purpose you want, including phone calls. My guess is that it either didn't test out well, isn't a direction Sonos wants to go, or perhaps is not something they feel comfortable releasing without further testing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Danny, thanks. I meant to ask if it could be playing while charging. In other words can it simply remain in the charger and work as a day to day Sonos speaker. You answered my question, in spite of my lack of clarity.
When using the Move at home as a normal speaker does one remove it to charge? Or can it charge continuously as one uses it?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'remove' in your first statement. Remove from your Sonos network? No. Remove it from the charger? Obviously not. Did you mean something else?

Yes. it will charge as it's play, whether in wifi or bluetooth mode.
Badge
Hi all, slightly random question but how does the sound of the Move compare to sound from the Beam For playing music? Thanks

I personally find the quality a lot better on the move, not that there is any problems on the beam I just find the sound a lot more crisper
Krismusic, yes, it can be switched to a single point Bluetooth speaker.