Why has my Beam started Ducking

• 20 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Only recently my Beam is ducking the audio when using my Amazon echo in the same room (group).

It never use to duck when "playing" audio via HDMI, but it has started to do this I think since that latest update.

I have contacted Sonos support but they claim that it has always done this. I have seen other post in the community wanting this "feature".

Also just to add, the mic is turned off on the Beam.

Does anyone know how to stop it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My Playbase is doing the same. Not sure if it was from the latest Sonos update or an Amazon change. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you check the Alexa Group setup for the two devices.  I’ve noticed in my set-up my soundbars are still listed within the preferred speaks but have dropped from the group and had to be re-added. (To enable ducking, the Beam needs to be included within both sections.)

I’ve experienced the same issue just recently. My Beam now ducks when I wake my Dot in the same room. It never used to, and I much preferred when it didn’t duck (it’s one of the reasons I put a Dot in the room in the first place!). Does anyone know how to turn off the ducking? If I’m quickly telling Alexa to dim the lights during a movie, I don’t really want the sound to duck out!

Ran into this same issue as of lately. I have an Echo Dot in the room that I’m using exclusively for Alexa requests because I don’t like the ducking feature, and the latest update completely undid the solution I'd been using this whole time. If I wanted to drop the volume on my TV when asking Alexa to do something, I would un-mute the microphone on the Beam lmao. 

Userlevel 1

I would love to have ducking to be a preference that can be disabled. More often than not, Alexa has all ready executed the command and we’re waiting around for the sound to come back up on the TV. I’m sure some folks like it, but for us it’s a completely unnecessary feature.