New to Sonos or Alexa? How to set up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

199 replies

Ok even more bizarrely it will work from a different echo device on both sonos devices - however both echo devices appear to have the same software version.
Thanks, Ryan!

Darn - I was really hoping to be able to play from my library on the Echo and the Sonos at the same time. I guess I'm getting a Sonos One!
Fantastic news..... am playing with the integration and it works pretty good (for Beta software anyway).

I do seem to have a few problems with albums that have numbers in them.
For example Play Six Wives of Henry VIII by Rick Wakeman in the Study is proving too much for the integration.
I tried with several other albums with numbers in them and provided that there isn't more than 2 numbers it seems okay - for example Play 21 by Adele in the Study works fine, but another album I have with a 200492 in the title, has no chance.

I realise this may be a tough ask but thought I would let you know.
Hello, does anyone know the solution to the issue i'm having? I have updated both the controller and all speakers..

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@smgerken, think you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
@smgerken, think you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? Hi Ryan its 7913401. Thanks
I like the voice control, however, unlike willkon who posted earlier, I haven't been able to make any of my playlists play using Alexa. It correctly hears me (checked through Alexa history) and then plays an Amazon playlist with a vaguely similar name instead of one of mine. I have tried renaming my playlists but this hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions (apart from starting the playlist using the Sonos app)?
I like the voice control, however, unlike willkon who posted earlier, I haven't been able to make any of my playlists play using Alexa. It correctly hears me (checked through Alexa history) and then plays an Amazon playlist with a vaguely similar name instead of one of mine. I have tried renaming my playlists but this hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions (apart from starting the playlist using the Sonos app)?

There does seem to be a strange one where the album that is chosen may come from Amazon or from my Sonos Music Library. It doesn't seem to have any logical pattern though - sometimes it picks from the correct location (Sonos Music Library) sometimes from Amazon.

Any ideas anyone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@smgerken, think you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? Hi Ryan its 7913401. Thanks
Looks like your Android controller isn't updated. Can you check in the Google Play store that it's up to date?
Looks like your Android controller isn't updated. Can you check in the Google Play store that it's up to date?

Hi Ryan

I updated it earlier and there is no longer an update available. I presume I'm not supposed to be installing it from an email link like a beta?

Thanks
Badge
Ryan, I have a question. I noticed on one of the pages on the website it said that among the options not available quite yet is room grouping. I happen to have a Sonos system that was installed a couple years ago with speakers in various rooms throughout the house all connected through a Sonos Connect that is hard-wired to a router. This is labeled as House. Later on after the initial install I wanted to add music to rooms where speakers didn't already exist, so I added a couple of Play 3s (one in the Dining Room and one in Office) that are connected through my Wifi. They are all grouped (House, Dining Room and Office) through the Sonos app, but I'm wondering if I do an Alexa command to play music on "House" will I hear that music through Dining Room and Office as well?
I have Spotify Premium and has worked fine with my Sonos for years. However, when I say "Alexa, play Spotify playlist New Stuff Good Stuff in Kitchen," Alexa responds with, "I can't play from Spotify music on that device." Spotify is already the default music service for my Amazon Echo. Has anybody been able to get Spotify to work via Alexa on their Sonos speakers?
Badge
"Alexa doesn't have access to your local music library. It'll always play the playlist from Amazon or another of your music services added to the Alexa app."

Are you saying I won't be able to play my music collection in Sonos using Alexa voice commands? Only what is in Amazon's music service?
@Ryan S I tried that, but it didn't work. Then, I just stumbled across this on the Sonos website:

"Which music services can I use with Alexa?
Music services need to be added to both Sonos and the Alexa app. The following services are currently supported:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM
Spotify users: The ability to ask Alexa to play Spotify music on your Sonos speakers is not yet available, but is coming soon."

I guess Spotify isn't working yet with Sonos via Alexa....sigh
Why the enthousiasm? Stil having to use an echo to use Alexa in the first place bedides tge Sonos One. So the only bennefit is being able to play music with voice control.. Who cares!
I just want my Play 5 to act as an Alexa input device without additional hardware like the one. Got the Mics.. just get the f*&& used and working. That would be a real ok wow thanks moment. All other enthousiadts are just fanboy cries
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
"Alexa doesn't have access to your local music library. It'll always play the playlist from Amazon or another of your music services added to the Alexa app."

Are you saying I won't be able to play my music collection in Sonos using Alexa voice commands? Only what is in Amazon's music service?

That's correct.
Badge
Is there any plan to allow the Alexa to play my own music library on the Sonos systems?
Userlevel 3
Hi - I'm getting a white screen on the Alexa app when i enable the skill, doesn't take me to the sign on for linking the account. Anybody know why ?

I am in canada and using an Alexa that was registered with my UK amazon account, could this be why ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi - I'm getting a white screen on the Alexa app when i enable the skill, doesn't take me to the sign on for linking the account. Anybody know why ?

I am in canada and using an Alexa that was registered with my UK amazon account, could this be why ?

That's why. Alexa isn't available in Canada. It's only in the US, UK, and Germany right now.
Awesome update!
Is there anyway to toggle the ducking feature on/off?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Awesome update!
Is there anyway to toggle the ducking feature on/off?

There isn't, I can pass on feedback to the team about it for you. Would you rather it not work at all or just not drop as low? Or something else entirely?
Hello, does anyone know the solution to the issue i'm having? I have updated both the controller and all speakers..

Thanks

I had this problem. I deleted and re-installed the Sonos app and all was well.
I just got everything hooked up but I cannot get Alexa to control the volume. Any advice?
Currently, Alexa does not support streaming on multiple devices. I have one Echo and one Echo Dot, and cannot play on both at once. I only have a single Play:1 for now. As I add to the system, should I be able to stream different music to multiple or different Sonos speakers controlled by the two different Echo devices?
Badge
Nice, works great!