Answered

how to get the echo to play through the sonos speakers

• 20 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi I have a black and a white sonos and have now purchased 2 echo dot - but I am wondering how do I get the music from the echo to play through the speakers of my sonos - do I need another lead or is it done via the Alexa app? thanks
icon

Best answer by jgatie 20 October 2017, 19:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Good Luck! I ordered an Echo Dot to use with my three Sonos 'One' speakers. I returned it within 24 hours. I went through the correct 'set-up' for Alexa app AND linking to Sonos. It would play but there is no way to play the same song/station on all three at the same time. 'Alexa' would only recognize one room at a time; very frustrating. AND you can not play your iTunes music library with the Echo/Dot/Alexa product. I was very disappointed that Sonos nor Amazon offered these shortcomings in their descriptions of the product. So, I ditched the whole thing and am happily using my Sonos App to play music MY WAY!!!
Good Luck! I ordered an Echo Dot to use with my three Sonos 'One' speakers. I returned it within 24 hours. I went through the correct 'set-up' for Alexa app AND linking to Sonos. It would play but there is no way to play the same song/station on all three at the same time. 'Alexa' would only recognize one room at a time; very frustrating. AND you can not play your iTunes music library with the Echo/Dot/Alexa product. I was very disappointed that Sonos nor Amazon offered these shortcomings in their descriptions of the product. So, I ditched the whole thing and am happily using my Sonos App to play music MY WAY!!!

All you had to do was group the speakers using the Sonos app, ask Alexa to play to any one speaker in the group and the whole group would play. At the current time, grouping 3rd party speakers is not in the Alexa API, but it is coming early next year. How much Sonos will be able to utilize of the new functions we have yet to see.

To the OP, no need to buy anything else, simply see this link on how to add Alexa control to your Sonos system:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301
Badge
thanks for the link - so now I have both echo playing through both my sonos - one in bedroom and one in kitchen - however when I ask Alexa pause music - Alexa skip to next song - the volume goes down then after a few seconds goes up again - it only plays one song also and then stops? any idea what I am doing wrong on setup? by the way how do you group speakers on the sonos app I can't seem to find it under settings on songs app. thanks
I’m having same problem with playing only one song and stopping.
Badge
really ?? thats good to know - I am sure it is the way we have set it up mine does not pause or play next song - it says Alexa says something like you need to ask when song playing so not sure what that means as I have tried to command mid song too - I will investigate some more and see what the problem is.. good to know I am not the only one having problems syncing the two sonos to the two echo.
Just got the Sonos One - it is sad that it can't group with the Echo - disappointing
I have a SONOS Connect Amp and am running in ceiling speakers in my house as well as on the back porch. I have n Echo Dot in both the living room and on the back porch. I can start the music playing through my SONOS on either Dot, but can only pause or stop using the living room dot. Not sure why this is, and I only just discovered it last night, so a lot more trouble shooting to do. Maybe I have to enable the SONOS skill on both Dots?