Answered

Amazon Alexa on Era 100

• 3 January 2024
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi.

More times than not I have to ask Alexa at least 3 times before it will respond. Dont get me wrong, everytime you speak the light goes green but disconnects straight away but then after 3 attempts light stays solid and carries out your request. Have spoken (web chat) to Sonos but no joy. Sonos had me disconnect  both power cables for 10 seconds ( have 2 Era 100s ) but no change. Then disable the skill from Alexa app and renable but its basically still the same. Does anyone have the same issue and if so fixed it. Its just a bit annoying continuously having to repeat things over and over. Would be grateful for anyone's help or advice. 

Thanks

Eddie 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 February 2024, 11:50

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Eddiemac100 

Thanks for your post!

And thanks for reporting - we are investigating, but at present have no more information to share.

I have this exact same problem. You say “Alexa” and get a chime and the light comes on but goes off straight away. Say “Alexa” again and the same happens. Say “Alexa” a third time and it stays connected. What’s going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Eoin117

@Eddiemac100

The issue is known and there are other threads where many users reported the problem. As @Corry P said Sonos is aware of it, does investigations and I‘m sure there will be a fix with an update as soon as possible. But at the moment nobody can tell WHEN… this depends on many factors and maybe also Amazon has to do something on their side. 
So waiting and knowing that on your side everything is ok is the best you can do. 😎

Userlevel 1

Thanks. At least i now no its not just myself. Hopefully Sonos /Amazon will sort soon. Definitely getting a bit weary continuing asking over and over 

We have exactly the same problem on our Era 100 purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Userlevel 1

Mine where only purchased in November.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Mine where only purchased in November.

That doesn’t matter… probably the bug came with a Sonos and / or Alexa update an ALL Era100 devices are affected. 

My temporary (or maybe permanent?) workaround has been to turn the Era 100 mic off and dig out an old Echo Dot 2nd generation to add Alexa back to the Era 100.   I already have a Play:1 set up like this (as that has no built in Alexa), and now that the Era 100 is set up like this I may leave it that way.  The main reason I like this setup is that I can position the Sonos speaker in the place I want the music to come from and the Dot where it can best hear my commands.

I realise that not everyone has a spare Dot lying around but I thought I would mention it just in case it’s of use.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My temporary (or maybe permanent?) workaround has been to turn the Era 100 mic off and dig out an old Echo Dot 2nd generation to add Alexa back to the Era 100.   I already have a Play:1 set up like this (as that has no built in Alexa), and now that the Era 100 is set up like this I may leave it that way.  The main reason I like this setup is that I can position the Sonos speaker in the place I want the music to come from and the Dot where it can best hear my commands.

I realise that not everyone has a spare Dot lying around but I thought I would mention it just in case it’s of use.

I made the same setup untill i hope the bug will be corrected 

Hello,

Same problem on my ERA 100.
It works in most cases but regularly I have to pronounce "Alexa" several times before I can indicate my instruction. It's a bit of a pain, especially as it worked fine on my old Sonos One...
I hope Sonos will soon find a solution to this bug.
Sébastien

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello,

Same problem on my ERA 100.
It works in most cases but regularly I have to pronounce "Alexa" several times before I can indicate my instruction. It's a bit of a pain, especially as it worked fine on my old Sonos One...
I hope Sonos will soon find a solution to this bug.
Sébastien

the issue seems very long to fix so i’m not confident that it will be resolved quickly; hope this is not an hardware issue, or a bad relation between Sonos & Amazon.

I bought a pair of Era 100’s to replace my Sonos 1’s as all the reviews were positive. Got them and they sounded great, unfortunately the Alexa glitch renders them useless for my family and I so they got sent back. Get it sorted Sonos and I might consider buying them again.

I have the same problem, I thought initially it was due to my sonos one in another room picking up my voice but with that one deactivated it still does it. Very frustating. Im also having major connection issues since adding an era100 to my system of one's. Every evening I'm having to re connect at least one speaker. Please listen to your customers Sonos and sort these frustrating issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Eddiemac100 et al

We now consider this issue resolved. If you continue to see this issue, we recommend you ensure your Sonos system is up-to-date, and if so, to get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

We thank you for your patience.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply. Do I take it the issue is now fixed? The reason I ask is I returned mine ( on the dealers recommendation) and was after advice on where its wise to re purchase another pair.

Thanks 

Eddie 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the reply. Do I take it the issue is now fixed? The reason I ask is I returned mine ( on the dealers recommendation) and was after advice on where its wise to re purchase another pair.

Thanks 

Eddie 

Yes, the Alexa mic issue on the Era 100 has been resolved.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. Appreciated Mr T