Move Stereo Pair Bluetooth problem

• 8 December 2019
  • 49 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

@melvimbe can’t find any features that other BT speakers haven’t, really; the most important obviously being able to pair & play from multiple speakers at once (Boom, JBL, etc.), mono or steoero, don’t care really. 

Huh? A portable bluetooth speaker that connects to a wireless home audio system is most certainly not common for the typical wireless bluetooth speaker.  Not to mention voice assistant capabilities, auto trueplay, airplay compatiblity, etc.  I get that these may not be as important to you and others as bluetooth stereo pairing, but it certainly could have an impact on why/how the feature is not on the Move or Beam, but is on other bluetooth only portable speakers.

In any case, that really sucks: Even in the shop they advertise stereo, and then WiFi+Bluetooth further down, and nowhere it says “*** BUUUT IF YOU USE BLUETOOTH YOU’LL ONLY EVER GONNA BE ABLE TO PLAY FROM ONE SPEAKER”.

Well, whatever, looks like we’re not gonna solve it here.  Hope some of the Sonos folks read this.

Cheers,

Wolf

I generally think that’s it’s rather important to research products and avoid assumptions whenever possible. Know that features you expect and make sure you get explicit confirmation that the feature is there.  It’s too easy to do research and too many different products out there with different features. 

That said, people are not always even aware of the assumptions they are making, and Sonos could do a bit better to make some statements about the more common assumptions, like stereo pairing, without saying anything negative about their own product.  Seems like meeting in the middle  would be the best way to avoid customer frustration about missing features after they’ve bought the product.

SONOS should allow us to return the 2nd Move speaker. Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Depending om customer protection legislation you can return devices within a certain time frame. When bought from them directly Sonos has a return policy themselves that might be better:

Sonos return policy: 45 days or 100 days ? | Sonos Community

@GuitarSuperstar - no  - that’s exactly what the don’t support. 

With the nonsensical argument that the Moves are meant to be carried around.

Regarding playing from TWO Moves: I don’t care what Android supports; here the topic is what SONOS supports.

Cheers,

Wolf

Userlevel 7

@WolfRaven If the stereo pair of Moves are set up on the same system as the Beam and Sub, you can absolutely group them all together. You just can’t group them together if they aren’t part of the same system or the Moves are in Bluetooth mode.

You must be referring to connecting the Moves as surrounds to the Beam which is completely different than grouping the speakers.

I wonder if this may be a limitation of iOS over Sonos? Android stereo pairing is pretty seamless but it appears this is more native to Android.

Apple is less friendly with non-Apple devices providing minimal support with third party devices (like my bluetooth Samsung Earbuds).

Maybe Sonos could do more or maybe their hands are tied?

Userlevel 7

@WolfRaven If the Moves are paired as a stereo pair, you can group them with the Beam and Sub as long as they are all part of the same system on the same WiFi network… just like you can group a stereo pair of Ones with the Beam and Sub. But the Ones can be used as surround speakers with the Beam and the Moves cannot.

@GuitarSuperstar @melvimbe remains the subject of the inability of the Moves to play on more than one speaker when connected via Bluetooth.  That is also by design?  If any cheapo bluetooth box can do it (in stereo, independent of Android or IOs), I’d expect Sonos can develop that and send it as a firmware update.   But apparently it is cheaper to send you guys here to argue away all of the features...

I was sold on the idea of stereo but need to be on bluetooth (portable speakers). I have to return them now. Very disappointed.

Before you purchase a replacement, I would encourage you to check to see if it functions the way you want. Since Sonos is a networked speaker first, and a Bluetooth speaker second, it doesn’t have all the things you may be looking for, and you’re paying for functionality / hardware that you just don’t need. 

Userlevel 2

Looking forward to new firmware to resolve this issue. 

Have you received or verified any conclusive confirmation that this will be resolved in the next firmware release?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Hrvoje, I just tested this out with my Android phone and a stereo pair of Moves, there wasn’t any trouble using Bluetooth to either side. Unfortunately I can’t re-create it with an iOS device at this time, but I’ll pass the note on to the team to check it out.

If you’re still having trouble, make sure you check for updates as a new one just came out, and maybe see if it’s still there on the new build.

I have the same problem. All work fine when Moves are in WLAN managed by Sonos app. Both are set to be as one room as stereo pair. When I switch them to Bluetooth mode I can see them both as separate devices and if I pair only one of them that speaker works but the other one has no sound. When pairing the other one that one doesn't work at all. Only one plays sound and no stereo sound exist.

How should the Bluetooth pairing be done from the point they are in Sonos system via WLAN to the point I have two speakers playing stereo sound via Bluetooth. Do I need to pair only one of them and if so which one?

Thanks in advanced for step by step guidance 'for dummies' 😊

I'm using Android phone... 

I just got an answer from Sonos customer service:

"The Sonos Move Cannot be stereo paired in Bluetooth mode. Our Stereo Pair method relies on the higher functionality present when the speaker is in Sonos mode, not Bluetooth mode. When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker disables a lot of unnecessary features. Sincerest apologies for any inconvenience."

So I guess that solves this issue... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just got an answer from Sonos customer service:

"The Sonos Move Cannot be stereo paired in Bluetooth mode. Our Stereo Pair method relies on the higher functionality present when the speaker is in Sonos mode, not Bluetooth mode. When in Bluetooth mode, the speaker disables a lot of unnecessary features. Sincerest apologies for any inconvenience."

So I guess that solves this issue... 

What other “unnecessary features” are disabled?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Are Sonos committed to finding a solution for providing bluetooth stereo pairing whilst using 2 x Sonos Move's?

We’ll never know. Sonos never give out such information. It would be a good feature otherwise I’m going to have to get a travel router to set up a WiFi network when on holiday. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Bokersjv,

I didn't know about travel routers and I'm keen to understand more. I've just been on Amazon and its full of mobile Wi-Fi routers. Would would you recommend without breaking the bank?

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Note Ultra has 5g capabilities but Talk Mobile (Vodafone) my isp is a bit slow on the uptake. My sim only deal offers 8Gb of data. Could I use that data to give me stereo wi-fi to 2 x sonos move speakers using the phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

was just going to get the cheapest Travel router that had USB slot that with the addition of a USB Memory stick could act as a NAS drive and I'd just have all the CDs I've ripped available. Max USB is 128Gb, but that’s easily enough of my collection for a 2 week holiday.

I don't need internet support just want a WiFi network for the Sonos Kit to access and play my stored music in stereo.  Just use the phone as a controller too rather than using BT and using the battery.  Also means Trueplay would work on WiFi

Set it up to match the home SSID and Password and security protocols and set up the USB drive as a Music server in the Sonos APP.  You can trial the whole set up before you leave home too.

This one for £20 would fit for me

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_cCb0FbGT0JA78?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

How about using the bluetooth stereo mode using a Bluetooth receiver 5.0, which connects two device at a time.  So the receiver is receiving from the music source and simultaneously streaming to two Sonos move.  Will it be in a stereo mode or simply multiple speaker mode?

How about using the bluetooth stereo mode using a Bluetooth receiver 5.0, which connects two device at a time.  So the receiver is receiving from the music source and simultaneously streaming to two Sonos move.  Will it be in a stereo mode or simply multiple speaker mode?

Do you have a link to this device?  And don’t understand you’re last question regarding stereo mode and multiple speaker mode, as the Move has WiFi and bluetooth modes.

Userlevel 7

@WolfRaven Sonos allows you to group a stereo pair of Moves together with a Beam and Sub.

Some Android devices can play audio to two Bluetooth speakers using the dual audio feature.

Sonos,

As other users above have noted, its kind of ridiculous that you cannot pair 2+ Sonos Move speakers in bluetooth mode for stereo sound.  I hear that this feature is available on the new, lesser expensive Roam speaker…...why wouldn’t the Move be able to do the same thing?  $399.99 is a serious amount of money for a speaker that has less features than ones costing significantly less.  I almost feel ripped off for buying a Move.

Is this a fact or assumption (based on what you've heard) that Roam supports Bluetooth Stereo? I bought one Roam to test it. Sound quality is not as in Move but surprisingly good for a such a small portable speaker. I'm happy to buy more if Bluetooth stereo is supported.

Can anyone confirm this that it works? 

This problem is going on for a year or over a year. Does sonos care or listen to what the customers are requesting that they want 2 sonos moves paired using bluetooth so they can experience stereo sound. I am new to sonos and I just got one sonos move and will buy one more but by reading the blog seems like still a problem. I probably would return this and buy something else. Please fix the issue as other bluetooth speaker can do this. Its embarrassing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos could be of the opinion there is no problem to fix, since they made a conscious choice, maybe even based on technical reasons….. We do not know.