Hi-resolution support required (eg: AIFF 96kHz/24bit)

• 13 August 2013
  • 80 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

80 replies

Doesn't Sonos do this already, in the way it handle files with other issues? If not, I agree this is an essential feature but one that will not work for many hi res fans of course.

I only have one library of all my music. It is good for both serious and casual listening. Perhaps over half the files are iTunes 256kbps downloads. They are however from quality recordings from folks like ECM, Mapleshade, HighNote, Blue Note/Rudy Van Gelder, Smoke Sessions, Philology and the like, and that is the secret of great sound quality. Many are of performances from more than 50 years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A "simple" first step would be for SONOS to ignore a higher res file and move on to the next song in a playlist/artist/category, etc. That way you do not have to keep separate libraries (as I do now) for casual listening and "serious" listening in iTunes or any other playback system. One library is more user-friendly.

The logical thing to do would be to forget the High-Res files and delete them. As has been previously repeated, almost ad nauseam, there is NO peer reviewed scientific evidence that the human ear can differentiate between the 16/44.1 and 24/192. You are fooling yourself if you think you can and what's worse you may be paying for some supposed "extra" quality that simply isn't there - you're also having to pay for more storage AND, what's worse, your Sonos experience is significantly affected in a negative manner.

The people trying to sell you this have an agenda to make money, pure and simple. They want you to buy your whole music collection again at "Super Dooper Hi-Res Gold standard" - No matter they have zero evidence of any quantifiable benefit to the consumer. They make me mad.

The people trying to sell you this have an agenda to make money, pure and simple.

They make me mad.

They shouldn't make you mad; they are just trying to bring food home, in the best way they know! And there are a lot worse things happening in the consumer markets, to make people want what they don't need. The entire global economy and the growth story of the times is built on this behaviour on both sides.

One upside of this particular issue is that it has opened eyes to the mastering subject and how critical that is to get good sound quality at home. All CD albums are equally well recorded is the belief I had for a long time.