Question

Changing IP Addresses with a BOOST...

• 21 January 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 369 replies
I am trying to set my SONOS specific to specific IP addresses.

The current SONOS IP addresses are 192.168.xx.100 to 192.168.xx.106 as assigned via the DHCP server.The revised SONOS IP addresses are to be 192.168.xx.200 to 192.168.xx.206.

While I am well aware as to how to assign / move a DHCP ASSIGNED IP address to a DHCP RESERVED IP address (as I have successfully done for other devices) it is not working for any of my SONOS devices.

While I was looking for solutions to this through the internet I noticed that the problem MAY BE that I have a SONOS Boost connected to 192.168.xx.100 with all other devices connected to the SONOS Boost per this article (see https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3453/~/how-to-check-if-sonos-is-in-a-standard-or-boost-setup ). That is I noticed saw "WM: 0" for all devices. As I understand things this is likely the problem as the SONOS devices are getting there IP Addresses from the BOOST because they are connected to the BOOST (i.e. is this correct)?

With that, please explain how I should go about creating RESERVED IP addresses when using a SONOS Boost.

TIA!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Well. Our router had to be replaced and I can't get past adding a bridge/ boost. When it comes to adding a speaker it says update your software. It's already up to date.

What crap software and a crop system. Wish I'd never bought this system. I can play umpteen Bluetooth players. No issues. This is just garbage.
This has nothing to do with this thread. Call Sonos Support or sell your system. Or maybe read the instructions on the Support website for what to do after a change of router. Because if you are trying to add anything you clearly haven't read the instructions so far.
Could / would you share the separate box that you use for this as well as its wiring
A lowly Linksys WRT54G (cost: virtually nothing off eBay), running Tomato firmware. Wired directly to the gateway router, but it could go anywhere. NAT and WiFi disabled. Its DHCP server obviously hands out the actual gateway router's IP, rather than its own. It also doubles as a DNS forwarder.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Could / would you share the separate box that you use for this as well as its wiring
A lowly Linksys WRT54G (cost: virtually nothing off eBay), running Tomato firmware. Wired directly to the gateway router, but it could go anywhere. NAT and WiFi disabled. Its DHCP server obviously hands out the actual gateway router's IP, rather than its own. It also doubles as a DNS forwarder.

Thank you, I will need to take a look at the Tomato firmware!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware). The original hasn't been touched in years, but is stable and easy to use. Personally I wouldn't put it anywhere that's directly internet-facing. There are umpteen forks, receiving varying levels of upkeep.

Also look into DD-WRT if you're interested.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware). The original hasn't been touched in years, but is stable and easy to use. Personally I wouldn't put it anywhere that's directly internet-facing. There are umpteen forks, receiving varying levels of upkeep.

Also look into DD-WRT if you're interested.

Easy to use and stable are both excellent traits....I will take a more detailed look as I note that the original version is NOT VPN capable where some of the other spin-offs. VPN would be a nice feature to have!.