Answered

Receiver works with sonos

• 6 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,
I'm looking to get an AV receiver which I can connect my turntable, DVD player, game console, TV and a pair of non-Sonos speakers. I  enjoy having the airplay 2 and Sonos’ multiroom experience so I’m thinking to get a Sono’s Amp. However, it only has one line-in which is not handy to connect all my devices. 

My questions:

1. Can I use any receivers or it has to be a “work with Sonos” product if I get a Sono’s Port to make my speakers in the Sono’s ecosystem?
  2. If so, do you recommend any slimline receivers? I’ve found Pioneer VSX-S520 online but not sure if it works with Sonos.
  3. If I use Sonos Port with a supported receiver, do I need to switch sources on the receiver or it will pick up what’s active automatically? 

Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 6 January 2020, 15:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Not sure which budget you have in mind. However, for user convenience I would recommend to opt for the new Sonos Amp, since it will reduce the number of (remote) controllers you will need, especially if your TV supports HDMI-ARC. This is the reason why I bought a SONOS Beam. A SONOS Port plus amplifier will also need extra wiring and power connections.

Hi,
I'm looking to get an AV receiver which I can connect my turntable, DVD player, game console, TV and a pair of non-Sonos speakers. I  enjoy having the airplay 2 and Sonos’ multiroom experience so I’m thinking to get a Sono’s Amp. However, it only has one line-in which is not handy to connect all my devices. 

My questions:

1. Can I use any receivers or it has to be a “work with Sonos” product if I get a Sono’s Port to make my speakers in the Sono’s ecosystem?

The ‘works with Sonos’  program, in regards to receiver means that if you tell your Port to play audio, the connected receiver will automatically switch the the input the Port is connected to.  For volume changes, you can use the Sonos app to change the volume on the receiver itself.  So it makes the overall experience a little more seamless.  However, it is not required as the Port can connect to any amp/receiver that has inputs.

1. If so, do you recommend any slimline receivers? I’ve found Pioneer VSX-S520 online but not sure if it works with Sonos.

Does not look like it is...

http://sonos.pioneerhomeusa.com/

https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos-onkyo/

1. If I use Sonos Port with a supported receiver, do I need to switch sources on the receiver or it will pick up what’s active automatically? 

The receiver should switch inputs when you start playing audio from Sonos source.  It won’t know to switch to another source when you aren’t playing from a Sonos source.

Thank you. 

Looking at your requirements again though, the Sonos Amp should be just fine for your requirements.  It actually has 2 inputs, one for the TV (HDMI-ARC) and aux (RCA inputs).  The DVD and game console will connect directly to your TV and your TV connects to the  Amp.  The turntable connects to aux input on the Amp, and of course, your speakers will be powered by the Amp.  The Amp is not like a traditional AV receiver, where you connect everything to the receiver first, then to the TV.  With the Amp, all video sources go to the TV first, then the Amp.

If you have an older TV that does not have HDMI-ARC, then you can use the HDMI-ARC/Optical adapter available on this site.  If your TV doesn’t have optical output either, you’d need to get more creative.