Question

AirPort Time Capsule Compatibility

• 4 February 2013
  • 11 replies

Contemplating purchasing a Sonos system. Have complete Apple system including AirPlay. Sonos documentation says I need to have AirPort Express (entry level unit); I have AirPort Time Capsule (the premium unit) already installed. Can I use my Time Capsule to establish the AirPlay connection? Or do I need a separate (and redundant) AirPort Express?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

If I understand you correctly, forgive me if not. I have tried plugging my airport express into my Sonos 5 with Ethernet. This does not work and disrupts my whole network. I don't think the Ethernet output is designed for this! Hope that helps.

You have to configure it first as a wireless extender. See this link for details:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241/kw/Airport/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4MzI3ODMxMS9zaWQvZlVwd0w0V1pTXzRFX2F0WFRhVk9Zbk56bkJPNGpwVmdWeDA0TFJ0a1JuUWdvR00xbUglN0VoclZFVGpOSkdhSFhSZWY2Qkx2cVdqVlR3eWdwbGh5aEFCSlpBVF83ZFdmVUJSVUs0dnZabWFOTyU3RSU3RWNEenglN0Vtb0E0S2clMjElMjE=
If I understand you correctly, forgive me if not. I have tried plugging my airport express into my Sonos 5 with Ethernet. This does not work and disrupts my whole network. I don't think the Ethernet output is designed for this! Hope that helps.
Can I connect the Airport Express to connect to the Sonos Bridge in order to use AirPlay through the Sonos network?
I have the same question. Airport Time Capsule connected to the Bridge but now Sonos doesn´t recognize the Connect Amp and Connect units I was using normally with a previous router.

Diego
Can I connect the Airport Express to connect to the Sonos Bridge in order to use AirPlay through the Sonos network?
Confused. Can I simply connect the Bridge to my Airport Time Capsule (which acts as my router), and stream my iTunes and other libraries through the Sonos system? (I don't care about AirPlay). Just asking if I can use the Airport Time Capsule > Bridge as I would with any router.  Thanks
No, you must connect the AE to the line-in on a Play:5, a Connect, or a Connect:Amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A Time Capsule doesn't have an audio connection on it, thus it cannot receive an Airplay stream. The label of Airport on a device does not imply that the device has Airplay capabilities. The Airport Express is the only Apple router/access point that includes the Airplay capability. The only other Apple device that has Airplay receive support is an Apple TV, but that only has optical and HDMI outputs.
Userlevel 2
The short answer is no. As you can see from the link I posted the AirPort express is acting as the AirPlay device. AirPlay devices show up in the Play To list on your iDevice. Inorder to use Sonos with AirPlay you will need a Airport Express for the PLAY5.
Response did not address my question: Can I use the AirPort built into my Time Capsule to substitute for AirPort Express? I already have the Time Capsule; no need for an AirPort Express unless Sonos is unable to connect to the AirPort portion of the circuitry in the Time Capsule. (Not trying to use the Time Capsule itself; only the built-in AirPort aspect...)
Userlevel 2
Hello Rick, The Airport Express acts as the AirPlay device for Sonos. Sonos is not a true Airplay device but we have a walk through on how you can use the PLAY5 to enable a AirPlay like affect. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241