Answered

Sonos Era 100 + Turntable question, switching between Apple Music and Turntable.

I'm new to Sonos speakers. I purchased an Era 100 and plugged my turntable into it through the Line In. Works great, sounds great. The problem I have is, if I play Apple Music on the speaker, and want to switch back to the turn table, it doesn't automatically switch like I'd like it to. Is there a way to make it automatically switch back to Line In? The "Autoplay" settings don't seem to do it if it has last been playing Apple Music. Or is there a "Hey Sonos" or "Alexa" voice command to make it switch? The only way I have found is through the app. thanks!

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 22 April 2024, 23:25

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have a pair of 5s and have to manually switch every time guessing the 100 will be the same 

no automatic switching unfortunately 

Userlevel 7

I just tested this on my system.

If you have the Autoplay Room set to the room associated with the Era 100, when you place the needle on the vinyl, the Apple Music stream should automatically stop and the music from the vinyl should begin playing out of the speaker.

I just tested this on my system.

If you have the Autoplay Room set to the room associated with the Era 100, when you place the needle on the vinyl, the Apple Music stream should automatically stop and the music from the vinyl should begin playing out of the speaker.

Strange - that didn’t work for me.  I tested it and Apple Music kept playing and it never switched to the vinyl.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I also checked that and it works the way it should as @GuitarSuperstar just described. 
But… you won’t have to change the sources too quickly !!

There is a signal overrun of about 15 seconds on line in source. Autoplay just works, if a signal comes in via line in after last line in plaback inclusive overrun time has stopped. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

And another reason perhaps could be line in level set too weak. You could try setting it to a higher level and test again. I think Autoplay needs a minimum of signal strength to work. 

I also checked that and it works the way it should as @GuitarSuperstar just described. 
But… you won’t have to change the sources too quickly !!

There is a signal overrun of about 15 seconds on line in source. Autoplay just works, if a signal comes in via line in after last line in plaback inclusive overrun time has stopped. 

I’m not sure I’m following what you are saying… To test this, I played Apple Music.  Stopped the music, waited 15 seconds, started the turntable, waited 15 seconds, and the speaker never switched to line-in.  Went to the app, changed it there, and it worked fine.

Try test playing a record that begins with a “boom” or “crash”. Starting Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon has flustered every auto switcher that I’ve encountered.

Try test playing a record that begins with a “boom” or “crash”. Starting Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon has flustered every auto switcher that I’ve encountered.

I’ll try that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Matt3281 

Ok, the way you have tested it indicates it’s not a overrun issue. I suppose setting a higher line in level in Sonos settings could sort it. What level are you using currently?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

For reference my line level is on full and I retested it using a black sabbath lp no auto switching occurred on my setup 

@Matt3281

Ok, the way you have tested it indicates it’s not a overrun issue. I suppose setting a higher line in level in Sonos settings could sort it. What level are you using currently?

I have it set to the highest - “Level 10 (High)”

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@skullc 

@Matt3281 

And… just to clarify… autoplay option for the line in definitely is turned on and set to the speakers room itself?

If so and it doesn’t work, have you tried a device restart?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@skullc

@Matt3281

And… just to clarify… autoplay option for the line in definitely is turned on and set to the speakers room itself?

Yes and yes to both questions but I have 2x5s + sub so different systems 

and I have no problem manually switching as I have to get up to place a record on my turntable anyway 😊

I was just pointing out to the original poster my experience 

Userlevel 7

I have a non-standard turntable (TT) setup as opposed to most. Let me explain...my TT setup is a Sonos Amp, Sonos Edition Project TT, Cambridge Pre-Amp, Sonos Sub and Definitive Technology wired bookshelf speakers. Therefore no line-in to a Sonos speaker.

First, I’d never consider overlapping one source over another...that’s just my personal preference.

I don’t overlap TV audio over music with my Sonos HT and vise-versa. I always stop the immediate source before moving to the next. I can send Apple Music to the TT setup, stop that stream, turn on my TT, drop the needle and hear my Vinyl. I can reverse the procedure as well. 

That said….how much more automatic-switching to line-in does one require.🤔

@skullc

@Matt3281

That did it!! I restarted the Sonos speaker and now it switches between the two perfectly.  Thanks, everyone, for all of your help on this!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Matt3281 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad to hear things are now working for you as expected.

I just wanted to explain one point - in order for Autoplay to work correctly, the speaker with line-in must detect silence first. With turntables, this might be tricky as the stylus could be picking up vibrations on the air, amplifying these through the pre-amp and never quite producing silence. Lowering the sensitivity on the line-in setting in the Sonos app may help with this, but obviously has it’s own drawbacks.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Matt3281 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad to hear things are now working for you as expected.

I just wanted to explain one point - in order for Autoplay to work correctly, the speaker with line-in must detect silence first. With turntables, this might be tricky as the stylus could be picking up vibrations on the air, amplifying these through the pre-amp and never quite producing silence. Lowering the sensitivity on the line-in setting in the Sonos app may help with this, but obviously has it’s own drawbacks.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks @Corry P … that is what I was calling „overrun“‘ because I wasn’t able to explain it in a better way with my words. For me it always takes about 15 seconds after playback stopped to detect silence.