Answered

Era 100 with Turntable humming

• 20 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone!

I’m finding there are multiple solutions to this issue depending on the set up and turntable.

Basically I have set up my Music Hall MMF-1.3 Turntable to my two Era 100 using line in connected to a RCA to AUX and I’m getting a massive humming noise.

Changing the source level to the lowest does resolve the issue, however I’m too understand it should be at 10 for a turntable so I don’t think I’m getting the best out of it. The humming also returns on a low level if the volume is too high, I like to listen to my records quite loud.

I feel like a grounding cable might help, but I don’t know where I could connect the other end too given the Era 100 doesn’t have anything to connect it to. 

Things to note:

• The turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp
  • the tone arm is aluminium 
  • each speaker is 0.6m either side of the turntable 
  • The turntable also sits under my TV
  • All of the adapters for my entertainment unit sit underneath where my turntable sits connected to a power board 

I have a feeling someone will tell me the issue is all of the electrical activity around the turntable, but I really like having it here, really suits the aesthetic of my home.

Hoping someone can help!

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 20 April 2024, 10:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@JoshSyd 

First of all please check if your turntable in fact is set to line out. Usually there is a (sometimes hidden) switch to choose between phono out or line out. 
Next important thing is to use the original Sonos audio to usb c adapter to connect any line in signal to the Era 100. 

And to ensure the turntable is properly grounded, something Sonos doesn’t provide. 

@Schlumpf    I’m using phono out, and I’m using the authentic Sonos line in which is connected to an aux to red white. 

to my knowledge there isn’t an alternative to the line in anyway 

@Airgetlam yeah this is what I think the issue is. I’m wondering if there is an alternative where I can connect the grounding cable to the turntable and the other end to something else? I’m really not sure how it works 

In this connection scheme you should be using the turntable’s Line mode --- unless you are using an external preamplifier.

@buzz sorry I think I’m mistaken, I’m not home but i know I’m using the correct one as I tried the other and it doesn’t provide any output at all. If the line out is correct that’s the one I’m using. I have no external amp 

As a test, try physically moving things. Amplifiers, powered speakers, TV, and power supplies near the turntable cartridge can cause hum issues, but powering down and small physical movements of these items will change the character of the hum -- if this is an issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@JoshSyd 

If you take a look at the turntables manual, the output selector in your case has to be set to LINE. 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0710/4649/6578/files/music-hall-audio-mmf-1.3-turntable-manual.pdf?v=1677776693

With that done the input level in Sonos settings shouldn’t be set to more than 5. Normally 2-4 is recommended. 

Next thing I would check is the cable. If possible try another one or check the cable on another device.