Answered

ERa 100 line-in from turntable. Weird sound issues.

• 27 March 2024
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello,

I’ve hooked up a Denon DP-300F turntable to an RCA → 3.5mm adapter, which in turn goes to the Sonos adapter into the Era 100.

When I play a record, it seems as if there’s some strange summing going on that makes it sound out of phase. Almost like it’s playing only one of the L/R channels, but there is some weird EQing as well. If both RCA cables are going into the adapter, it’s very harsh and treble-y. If I remove one of the RCAs from the adapter, it sounds a little better - more bass and low-mids, but still missing vocals, etc.

I’ve tried various cables, using the phono built-in eq vs. a preamp, even tried going from phono to bluetooth and connecting that to the speaker - all with the same results.

However, when I hook up a different speaker to all of the same components, this doesn’t happen. If I hook up a pair of headphones where the Era 100 would be in the chain, everything seems fine.

Every other use of the speaker works as expected.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 28 March 2024, 00:32

View original

3 replies

The fact you’ve already tried different cables, a number of different speakers and tried the connection over Bluetooth etc. plus the fact you’re seeing the same issue with just that one Era speaker only, it maybe best to reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference (and maybe video-record the issue too) and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

They may go onto recommend a reset of the Era speaker, or to perhaps try another Sonos audio adapter, but I would not go down that path until you’ve first spoken to the Support Staff and shown them a recording of the issue.

Check the cartridge wiring.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the 3.5 mm plug is fully inserted in the adapter then I’d really lean to a bad adapter.