Answered

Connecting tv AND turntable via line in on Play:5.

Does anyone know if this would work? 

I’ve got 2 x Play:5s set up as a stereo pair. One on the left next to a turntable, one 3 metres to the right next to my telly. 

The turntable is to be connected to the left side speaker via RCA to line in. 
I’m wondering if I could connect the tv similarly to the right hand speaker at the same time. 

ps sorry if I’ve posted this incorrectly in the forum. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 January 2023, 22:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If I was to add a Sonos to a TV set, I’d not be using a Sonos Five, with the inherent delay on the input, which would cause what, to me, is substantial issues with lipsync.

I’d instead get a product that Sonos makes that are designed for use with a TV, and don’t have that inherent lag. The Sonos Ray is optical only, and the least expensive speaker for TVs that Sonos sells. Or you could go with a Beam or an Arc, and use the optical to ARC adapter that Sonos sells. 

There are a few on there, I’ll have a read up. A common problem seems to be that you can’t adjust tv volume with your tv remote when outputting to a DAC, (gotta sell this to the Mrs).  

You’ve managed to sell a stereo pair of Play:5s and a turntable.  A DAC should be a cakewalk. 

Fair point that,  but the turntable is my baby. I’m messing with her telly now though 😉 I’ve had one play5 for years and picked the other one up for £95 from CEX recently. Think I’ve dithered for so long she’s lost all interest in it all. Winner. 

There are a few on there, I’ll have a read up. A common problem seems to be that you can’t adjust tv volume with your tv remote when outputting to a DAC, (gotta sell this to the Mrs).  

You’ve managed to sell a stereo pair of Play:5s and a turntable.  A DAC should be a cakewalk.

I don’t know much about DACs.  Just don’t spend a lot of money.

I happened across this one.  Looks like it would also give you a Bluetooth connection (FWIW).

NOT a recommendation, just an observation!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Converter-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07YY1Q75N/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=1184174921361595&hvadid=74011135230023&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=133656&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-74011066591327%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=16338_2133847&keywords=buy+dac&qid=1675114236&sr=8-2

I don’t know much about DACs.  Just don’t spend a lot of money.

I happened across this one.  Looks like it would also give you a Bluetooth connection (FWIW).

NOT a recommendation, just an observation!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Converter-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07YY1Q75N/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=1184174921361595&hvadid=74011135230023&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=133656&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-74011066591327%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=16338_2133847&keywords=buy+dac&qid=1675114236&sr=8-2

What TV output are you planning to use?  If it’s a digital output you will need an external DAC in order to use the Play:5’s analog line-in.

Ah just mentioned this below. Was waiting for replies before I forked out for the DAC. 

Can anyone recommend a DAC, preferably powered from USB?

What TV output are you planning to use?  If it’s a digital output you will need an external DAC in order to use the Play:5’s analog line-in.

Ah just mentioned this below. Was waiting for replies before I forked out for the DAC. 

The speakers will “distribute” left and right speaker signals, regardless of whether the input is at left or right. You can select either line-in, so two inputs are supported. There is a slight delay on the sound - Sonos  needs this for multiroom sound and is unavoidable. This may result in lip-sync issues when watching tv. 

Thanks for the quick reply. Was hoping for a positive reply as I’ll need to buy a DAC, the tv only has optical out. Might be worth a punt. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The speakers will “distribute” left and right speaker signals, regardless of whether the input is at left or right. You can select either line-in, so two inputs are supported. There is a slight delay on the sound - Sonos  needs this for multiroom sound and is unavoidable. This may result in lip-sync issues when watching tv.