Introducing Sonos Voice Control

Related products: Software News
Introducing Sonos Voice Control

Hi Sonos Community members!

Today, we introduce the first voice experience created purely for listening on Sonos. Designed with privacy at its core, Sonos Voice Control is the simplest way to control your music, offering complete command of your Sonos system using only your voice. 

Sonos Voice Control works on every voice-capable Sonos speaker, processing requests entirely on the device

No audio or transcript is sent to the cloud, stored, listened to or read by anyone.

Available on new voice capable products and as a free update for existing customers, Sonos Voice Control is compatible with Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora at launch. More services and markets will follow. 

Fast, accurate control of your music and your Sonos System 

Sonos Voice Control finds the music you want to listen to, processing requests entirely on the device. Local processing delivers faster response times, and effortless follow-ups. 

All you need is one “Hey Sonos” and you can follow up without the need for additional wake-words.

Just like the Sonos app, you can control music and speakers in any room, easily move music around the home, save and like your favorite songs to your personal music library and more.

Natural conversation with Giancarlo Esposito

Sonos Voice Control understands the nuance of human communication and will respond to natural commands like “turn it up!”. After a careful search, Sonos chose award-winning actor Giancarlo Esposito - best known for his roles in Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and The Mandalorian - to deliver a familiar voice for US customers. With careful recording, advanced processing and mastering, the voice is natural, unobtrusive, yet confident and engaging. 

Sonos’ first voice will be joined by others over time as Sonos continues to expand the experience to new people and places.

Sonos Voice Control is available in the US starting June 1 and in France later this year, with additional markets to follow. 

Read the full press release on Sonos Voice Control here.

I can attest that svc is working with my hybrid scouse / Wigan accent 😜

Is this an issue or am I being picky? Whenever I call out a station through Hey Sonos, an image of the station is not there, just a grey box even for Sonos Radio HD station. 

Perhaps a better place to troubleshoot would be the discussion area, and not the announcements thread?

https://en.community.sonos.com/sonos-voice-control-229127

Any comment on the statement below from a user in Scandinavia?

Talked with Sonos support, they verified that it’s only users with a US account that has the SVC as an option, but didn’t know about roll out dates for other regions

For example, there are users in the UK that have SVC - via US accounts? And if so, is it just a casual thing to switch to a US account in Sonos with no other consequences?

@Kumar  - I’m in the UK and didn’t change my account from UK to US - I have SVC

@TuxUser : See the response above. Something strange at your end including the stated Sonos response. Lets see if @James L. of Sonos can help sort out this.

I’m not using a US Sonos account FWIW, my online account is setup the same as @SarahN’s and  showing a country setting of UK - Might it perhaps be a DNS issue, or users running some type of security software that’s blocking the service, perhaps🤔?

Also a UK account and no problem setting svc on all my hardware 👍

I’m assuming you can’t since I tried, but how do you turn surrounds on/off without having to toggle every single time, gets old without a widget or voice control…

I had the opportunity to try svc outside yesterday as the sun was out 😀

Was excellent only issue was with the volume at over 60% it had trouble hearing me no big deal 

First time I have found a voice assistant useful 👍

Perhaps a better place to troubleshoot would be the discussion area, and not the announcements thread?

https://en.community.sonos.com/sonos-voice-control-229127

@Airgetlam Wouldn’t that go for virtually ANY of the topics being discussed here. Just curious why MY topic needs to go but nobody else’s does.

Now that the Five lack the ability to speak, the stupidity of not including them is exposed.😍

Please fix audio dropouts in 14.6 update. 100s of users are having sub and surrounds dropping. This isn’t expected from Sonos.

Now that the Five lack the ability to speak, the stupidity of not including them is exposed.😍

Seems that way when you don’t know all the details around the decision.  I found the decision puzzling when the Five was first released, but Sonos supported Alexa and GA then, and had purchased Snips, the predecessor to SVC.  Seems like a better assumption that there are things around costs, maybe performance and marketing data, that we don’t know, rather just simple stupidity.

I use the mic on my Beam to speak with my stereo Fives in my lounge 😀 - of course this works as they are in the same room!

And similarly, I use one of my Roams in the kitchen, to talk to my One SLs in the kitchen. 

I’m currently on holiday, renting a cottage on the south coast of the UK. Took one of my Roam’s plus my Move with me to use with Bluetooth and I’m super impressed to find that Sonos Voice Control works on the speakers in a basic way. It will play/pause/go forward or back a song etc. I did notice when I got here that both white mic lights were on which I didn’t expect, but obviously they are on because it will work with basic functions (speaker only functions, rather than app functions). Do any of the other voice assistants works with a portable Sonos speaker out and about? I used to use Google Assistant but hadn’t at that point, taken any of my portable speakers out and about, so don’t know if it would have worked or not. I’m guessing not.

“Hey Sonos, Play Spotify playlist Rock Hits”
A: “We’re sorry, Sonos voice control does not yet work with Spotify.”

Back to google Home for me.

If only the press release had that information in it….oh, wait:

Available on new voice capable products and as a free update for existing customers, Sonos Voice Control is compatible with Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora at launch. More services and markets will follow.

Quote is from the linked page on the first message of this thread, including that link here as well. 

Quote is from the linked page on the first message of this thread, including that link here as well. 

LMAO. If only I had read the release before you enabled it in my app.  The process to enable SVC said nothing of this in the App.  Not supporting the #1 streaming platform is a huge oversight.

LMAO. If only I had read the release before you enabled it in my app.  The process to enable SVC said nothing of this in the App.  Not supporting the #1 streaming platform is a huge oversight.

Seems rather likely that Spotify has at least something to do with their lack of inclusion on the list.   I mean, it’s well known that Google is the reason you can’t have SVC and GA on the same device.  Calling it an oversight, as if Sonos sort of forgot Spotify existed or held a huge market share, doesn’t make much sense.

Great news @Caroline V. !  And thanks for the additional details @GuitarSuperstar 

A few questions:

• Can you set default music services?  Per system or per room?
  • Can a room (or speaker) be set to act on a different room by default, similar to Alexa groups.  For example, you have a Roam (Room 1) and an Amp (Room 2).  Can you set it up so that a request to play music, change volume, etc be made to the Roam automatically go to Roam 2?  “Hey Sonos turn up the volume “...and the volume on Room 2 goes up?
  • Will the product control commands work regardless of music service currently played?  For example, if you’re streaming spotify, and request to fast forward, will it work?
  • Can you request to play music from an aux input?

@mianrana Did you mean to post a comment when you quoted my post?

Hi all

I’ve been slowly building my Sonos system for a couple of years and I’ve always had an issue with Apple Music and getting error messages about my library whenever want to play something from my Apple Music library even with it as a music service on the app. Downloaded this feature yesterday onto my system said “Hey Sonos play my music” and boom straight to my Apple Music library! Love also the way the chime style tells you straight away if the instruction has been recognised or you are asking Sonos something it can’t do. 

My bedrooms and bathrooms all have various Sonos products (compatible with voice control).  My living room & kitchen are all driven my by receiver via a Sonos Port.

Right now I use an Echo Dot in the living room to initiate music via voice commands, and the default output is the Sonos Port.

I was thinking of getting a Sonos Roam to replace the Dot but then the music would just play on the Roam.  I want to avoid specifying the room every time.  Is there any way to set the default output to the Port?

How are other people with Port/Amp products working around this?