Answered

Stuttering Airplay playback.

• 25 December 2022
  • 14 replies

Badge

I have a Sonos Roam speaker. And when I wake they’re up from sleep mode, my airplay stutters. I have to reboot the audio speaker. I tried to transfer from iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook Pro the result is the same. With such lags, the speaker normally plays music from the streams built into the system and Bluetooth.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 30 December 2022, 15:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I’m wondering if it may be a network related issue, rather than software. If it was software, I’d think I’d be having issues, with my Mac, iPad, or iPhone. And if it isn’t a software issue, I’m not sure what Sonos can do, since they’re only a receiver of the signal, and don’t control either the network, or the incoming signal. They only control the playback at the point the signal is received. 

Have you submitted a diagnostic to Sonos, and called them? I’m not sure what they’d be able to see in that data, since they would be at the tail end of the transaction, but if there were a problem in the playback function, they may be able to track a reason for a bug in their software, and feed that data to an engineer.  Without having a case to provide hard data, or an ability to recreate the issue, I know all the engineers I’ve worked with over the years have laughed at me when I reported bugs with no reproduction proof. 

If I had this issue, I’d be bombarding them with data, but (un)fortunately, I’m not. In my experience, what sometimes looks like one thing can have multiple causes, and fixing one of those causes may not fix my issue, which is one reason I’m not shy about providing feedback. I want them to be able to reproduce my issues, and get those fixed, I’m much more sanguine about other issues…perhaps because I’m not the Product Manager for Sonos’ software ;)

It’s strange. I use AirPlay 2 to send music to my Roam daily, and have zero stuttering issues. 

Good to know that some folks are having a better time of it.  

It’s strange. I use AirPlay 2 to send music to my Roam daily, and have zero stuttering issues. 

I was considering purchasing addition Sonos speakers to replace my HomePods, but given this experience as my first Sonos product, no chance.  

It was even discussed on the Accidental Tech Podcast a few weeks ago, with many people putting up their hands that they are having the same annoying issue.

Sonos - are you listening?

Yeah for real - YOU HAVE ONE JOB lol oh btw - i found a shortcut that’s buried under HORRIBLE UX for getting to the EQ in a couple taps from the play screen. 

Sadly I’m having the same issues, with 20 and 40 MHz channels, with strong and weak signal.  This is more than widely reported, even discussed on the ATP podcast this week.  Come on Sonos, it’s time to take a look at this issue.

I don’t have any power savings on - they’re plugged in

After turning off the power saving options; my roam is ok now. 

I’m curious as to what the support team said, from @Jamie A’s response above?

Same here - Move and Roam on Airplay 2

Badge

@janchee Thanks for this info. The occasional stuttering has been driving me crazy, even though it’s only about 10-15% of the time I use Airplay (yes, 2).

The AirPlay1 reply from Sonos was totally unhelpful. Who is using Airply1?

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. The problem occurs after the system has shut off completely and thus has to connect to my Wi-Fi again. I tried nearly everything: I did a reset of the Roam and tried different router setting (changing channels, static IP, prioritize the roam, etc.); nothing helped except for waiting a few minutes after booting the system. This is really annoying and not what I except from a Sonos product!

Best regards,

Steve 

I have just gone through support with this: It’s a known issue and they’re working on a fix. Seems to be something wrong with the power saving options hence, having to wait to use. Try turning these off. 

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. The problem occurs after the system has shut off completely and thus has to connect to my Wi-Fi again. I tried nearly everything: I did a reset of the Roam and tried different router setting (changing channels, static IP, prioritize the roam, etc.); nothing helped except for waiting a few minutes after booting the system. This is really annoying and not what I except from a Sonos product!

Best regards,

Steve 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @YarsWars, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve spoken with our team and they’ve let me know that using Airplay 1 can cause stuttering on devices connected via this method. Apple mostly use Airplay 2 now, so if you have a device that is still using Airplay 1, that will likely be the cause.

If you are using Airplay 2, then it would be best to submit a diagnostic after the stuttering occurs, then reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting, as they have the tools necessary to help with this issue. 

I hope this helps!