Answered

Sonos Move not turning on

• 24 December 2022
  • 17 replies

This is my 2nd Sonos Move (first one was sent back under warranty) that won't turn on. I can't believe that these speakers are this bad where I've had two in a row stop working after less than a month  I've tried all the factory reset nonsense and it doesn't work Does anyone have a different fix or possible cause of this? The speakers have been kept inside and not exposed to water.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 December 2022, 15:53

View original

17 replies

@Wbiz251,
Some more info. is needed here…

How are you using the portable speaker? Is it left 24/7 on its charger-loop, or regularly off the charger?

Is the Moves battery saver feature ‘enabled’ (so it falls asleep/powers-off when not being charged), or ‘disabled’ (so it only ever uses standby mode, until its battery has depleted and so uses WOL whenever the Sonos App is opened on the Subnet?)

Typically left on the charger, but moved off the charger when in use or as needed. Battery saver is/was enabled.

Typically left on the charger, but moved off the charger when in use or as needed. Battery saver is/was enabled.

So what happens when you return the Move to its charger-loop if you have been using it in battery - what LED lights do you see? And what happens that causes it to stop working?

Nothing happens when I place it on the charger, no lights or anything. 

The first time it happened I took it off the charger and brought it to my shop to play music. It worked for roughly 3-4 hours then abruptly stopped. I chatted with support to troubleshoot and they eventually had me send it back. I received another back from Sonos and used it for a couple weeks on and off the charger with no issues. Friday we travelled for the holidays so I brought the speaker and charger. Saturday morning I went to use the speaker and it was dead, tried placing it on the charger with no success, now it's just dead like the last one.

Nothing happens when I place it on the charger, no lights or anything. 

The first time it happened I took it off the charger and brought it to my shop to play music. It worked for roughly 3-4 hours then abruptly stopped. I chatted with support to troubleshoot and they eventually had me send it back. I received another back from Sonos and used it for a couple weeks on and off the charger with no issues. Friday we travelled for the holidays so I brought the speaker and charger. Saturday morning I went to use the speaker and it was dead, tried placing it on the charger with no success, now it's just dead like the last one.

I guess it could be either the charger-loop, or the actual speaker then, in that case - either way, I would speak to Sonos Support.

It’s quite unusual that you’ve had two products and each have turned out to have the same/similar issue?

My Move Christmas present charged nicely first time and then the charger ring died. Using an external USB C charger from our laptop was the test and using a multimeter on the ring pins (no voltage) also confirmed it.

Check the red light comes on when plugged in/placed on ring.

The ring was replaced under warranty. 

It's now just hit February and the battery is dropping 30% a week when totally shut down!!

Drops 20% in 7hrs on standby and about 5 mins play- with the microphone turned off and in battery saver mode.

Can't say I'm happy with my experience so far!

My Move Christmas present charged nicely first time and then the charger ring died. Using an external USB C charger from our laptop was the test and using a multimeter on the ring pins (no voltage) also confirmed it.

Check the red light comes on when plugged in/placed on ring.

The ring was replaced under warranty. 

It's now just hit February and the battery is dropping 30% a week when totally shut down!!

Drops 20% in 7hrs on standby and about 5 mins play- with the microphone turned off and in battery saver mode.

Can't say I'm happy with my experience so far!

In battery-saver mode, it should power itself off completely shortly after 30 mins of ‘standby’ inactivity - might you perhaps be opening the App on the subnet when in standby or sleep mode perhaps? - 20% in 7 hours is okay in ’standby’ but not if you’re using the power saver correctly as it should be allowed to power off - it sounds like you’re opening the App regularly during the test. I would expect it to lose no more than 4% in 7 hours when it’s powered off, with or without, the battery saver.

I bought the 2nd Sonos Move and it does not work. When I took it out of the box it turned on a green light on the top but suddenly it stopped doing it and never turned on any light. The Sonos App detects it but when trying to connect to the WiFi network "SONOS-AxkBCQACFv-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX" gives error again and again. Restart the router several times and there is no case, can not link and does not turn on any light at the top. What can I do?

I bought the 2nd Sonos Move and it does not work. When I took it out of the box it turned on a green light on the top but suddenly it stopped doing it and never turned on any light. The Sonos App detects it but when trying to connect to the WiFi network "SONOS-AxkBCQACFv-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX" gives error again and again. Restart the router several times and there is no case, can not link and does not turn on any light at the top. What can I do?

It shouldn’t be broadcasting a visible WiFi signal on initial setup - so my thoughts are to perhaps factory reset it and try again. Instructions to do that are mentioned HERE

My Move is just an expensive paperweight. What a waste of money. It worked for a few months and then just died. Customer support was useless and didn’t even know where the buttons were.

My Move is just an expensive paperweight. What a waste of money. It worked for a few months and then just died. Customer support was useless and didn’t even know where the buttons were.

If it worked for a few months then it sounds like it’s under warranty. In which case you have much more than a paperweight. You just need to get on and sort these things for yourself. 

I had the same issue and just fixed it with the support team..

Take it off the base hold power button for 30 seconds until the small round mic light goes off.

Wait 1 minute

then power back on. 

Mine worked hope yours does as well. If not call the support line. 

TC

Worked a treat after mine died after a factory reset

My Sonos move had this same problem. Thankfully I read the comments here and troubleshoot it. Press down for 30 secs, wait a min and turn back on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Good advice, will remember that if my Move gives any trouble (been great for last 3 years mind!).

I’m having the exact same problem. This is my second Move, returned the first one for the same reason.

Good thing I have the service warranty. This speaker gives such excellent sound but fails after a few months. Like Wbiz251, I have done factory resets…. the unit simply does not turn on as it used to.

Tom C13, I did exactly what you said and it worked. You just saved my life. Regained confidence again.

Tom C13, again thanks a million!!!!!!!