Answered

turntable remote connection to stereo system using a port and connect grouped

• 28 March 2024
  • 4 replies

hello connecting a project E1 turntable with phono preamp, remotely (different room,) using a port a turntable and a connect 2 at stereo then grouping on app Do I need a dac at the connect stereo interface? Also I use tidal to stream from my phone to Sonos connect with no dac? Would a dac improve sound quality from tidal?  Thanks ps receiver is a Yamaha a740

icon

Best answer by jgatie 28 March 2024, 16:02

View original

4 replies

A DAC is not necessary, you can either connect it via analog (using the DAC in the Connect) or via digital (uses the DAC in the receiver).  If you choose, you could also use an external DAC.  Will it sound better?  Well, wars have been fought over less.  Audiophiles will say yes.  Objectivists will tell you that DAC chips are basically commoditized, with even the most expensive models costing under $10 US (and that’s not in bulk).  So paying exorbitant prices for a DAC when the actual DAC chip costs less than a fast food lunch is the very definition of snake oil.  

Thank you so much. Does it matter if I use the port or the connect at the turntable? Appreciate the advice

Thank you so much. Does it matter if I use the port or the connect at the turntable? Appreciate the advice

Can't speak to that.  It's been awhile since I've owned either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t think you’d hear any difference either way.