Answered

Sonos Arc/Sub/SL and Samsung F8000 Stereo Only

• 10 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi Everyone,

I received my Sonos home theater setup yesterday, which is being connected in the following way:

Sonos Arc → Samsung 65F8000 HDMI ARC

PS5 → Samsung F8000 HDMI 1

Fios Cable → Samsung F8000 HDMI 2

Now I'm getting sound through the Sonos, but it’s showing up as stereo. I have the Fios and PS5 set to send out dolby, but it’s not taking place. In looking at my TV’s audio options, I am only able to select “receiver” for speakers. If I try to select external speaker, it switched back. In the digital out option, only PCM and DTS Neo 2 is available (no sound works with it). Dolby is greyed out.

I know this is an older tv (2014), but it has ARC and should be able to send out Dolby Digital Plus. Any help is truly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 October 2021, 02:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You don’t need an optical cable. You just need the HDMI to optical adapter that came with the Arc.

Optical does not support DD+. But you need to lower your expectations. You’ll be lucky to get standard Dolby Digital from your external devices.

Thanks-didn’t realize it came with the converter. Optical only sent stereo not surround. Guess I’m outta luck without buying the Arcana.

•  

Thanks-didn’t realize it came with the converter. Optical only sent stereo not surround. Guess I’m outta luck without buying the Arcana.

Userlevel 7

You don’t need an optical cable. You just need the HDMI to optical adapter that came with the Arc.

Optical does not support DD+. But you need to lower your expectations. You’ll be lucky to get standard Dolby Digital from your external devices.

Where did you read this from?

Did you try the three things I mentioned?

Hey. So The software is up to date. When playing Netflix on the native TV app the Sonos app says Dolby digital 5.1. So this means it does decide Dolby digital plus right?

No, it only means your TV supports Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from the native Netflix app and probably the VUDU app.

More than likely your TV cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external media devices connected to the TV’s HDMI ports.

Have you tried connecting the Arc via optical adapter and seeing if it makes any difference?

I gotta dig up a cable and give that a shot. Optical can’t transmit DD+ correct? Only DD??

Userlevel 7

Hey. So The software is up to date. When playing Netflix on the native TV app the Sonos app says Dolby digital 5.1. So this means it does decide Dolby digital plus right?

No, it only means your TV supports Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from the native Netflix app and probably the VUDU app.

More than likely your TV cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external media devices connected to the TV’s HDMI ports.

Have you tried connecting the Arc via optical adapter and seeing if it makes any difference?

Userlevel 7

Because of the age of your TV, there is a good chance it cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external devices. I have a Panasonic plasma from 2013 that has this limitation and all I could get was stereo PCM audio from the Arc except from the TV’s native VUDU app and from 5.1 video files on a USB flash drive plugged into the TV.

Try these three things:

1. Make sure your TV has the latest firmware installed.
  2. Test the audio from the TV’s native VUDU and Netflix apps.
  3. Connect the Arc via optical adapter rather than HDMI ARC and see if the Dolby option is available under the Digital Out setting.

Consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that allows your external devices to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I have one with my plasma and it works great with the Arc:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

thanks for the reply! I believe I read the tv supports Dolby digital plus over arc, which is why I thought it would work fine. Maybe I misunderstood?

Userlevel 7

Because of the age of your TV, there is a good chance it cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external devices. I have a Panasonic plasma from 2013 that has this limitation and all I could get was stereo PCM audio from the Arc except from the TV’s native VUDU app and from 5.1 video files on a USB flash drive plugged into the TV.

Try these three things:

1. Make sure your TV has the latest firmware installed.
  2. Test the audio from the TV’s native VUDU and Netflix apps.
  3. Connect the Arc via optical adapter rather than HDMI ARC and see if the Dolby option is available under the Digital Out setting.

Consider getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that allows your external devices to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I have one with my plasma and it works great with the Arc:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/