optical adapter too big

• 24 September 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a New Qled Samsung TV and have purchased a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and a Sub Mini, all great but I’ve been having a issues with the Sonos disconnecting and reverting the TV back to TV speaker.

I also have a 4K Amazon Firestick and suspicious it is this causing the conflict.

The Sonos is connected to the HDMI - e Arc (3) and the Firestick is connected to HDMI 2.

I’ve read that others on here have had this or similar problems and disabled CEC on the Amazon Firestick, I’ve done this now and hope it cures it.

I did try the supplied Optical to HDMI cable as an alternative connection but the body seems to be a bit too big to connect it correctly to the TV and couldn’t get it to work.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was just looking at your photo above and there appears to be a bent pin above the TOSLINK connector.

Theres 2 usb ports above the TOSLINK they are both unused. cant see any bent pins.

Try the Firestick first. Inserting the blocker into the BEAM 2 connection will disable CEC Volume commands to BEAM 2. If you need to insert the blocker in the BEAM 2 connection, then setup IR BEAM 2 Volume control for your remotes.

I use the Sonos app to control the volume on Sonos Beam. 

I was just looking at your photo above and there appears to be a bent pin above the TOSLINK connector.

Try the Firestick first. Inserting the blocker into the BEAM 2 connection will disable CEC Volume commands to BEAM 2. If you need to insert the blocker in the BEAM 2 connection, then setup IR BEAM 2 Volume control for your remotes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Firesticks seem to be a common issue that deal with CEC poorly, you’ll find lots of threads where people have had to use the Lindy CEC blocker, I suspect. Not sure why Amazon has such difficulty here, perhaps they’re trying to ‘do’ something, and it just isn’t sympatico. 

Well it lasted a week, this morning the tv reverted to TV speaker again.

So I’m about to order the Lindy CEC Blocker.

Question should I connect the Blocker to the Sonos via the HDMI e-Arc, or the Firestick via the HDMI port?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No, not just FireSticks, and it seems to be perhaps dependent on the TV set (which suggests the implementation of CEC on both devices). It’s unfortunate that there’s such variability, but I’ve not been able to define a concrete use case….although I’m not paying that much attention, since it hasn’t hit me yet. 

Thanks for your help Bruce 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

If it was my system, I’d trim the plug.

Thanks for your help buzz 

No, not just FireSticks, and it seems to be perhaps dependent on the TV set (which suggests the implementation of CEC on both devices). It’s unfortunate that there’s such variability, but I’ve not been able to define a concrete use case….although I’m not paying that much attention, since it hasn’t hit me yet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Firesticks seem to be a common issue that deal with CEC poorly, you’ll find lots of threads where people have had to use the Lindy CEC blocker, I suspect. Not sure why Amazon has such difficulty here, perhaps they’re trying to ‘do’ something, and it just isn’t sympatico. 

Hi I'd never heard of the Lindy CEC blocker but that seems a excellent product to prevent this problem on my Sonos beam gen 2.

Just done a bit of reading about them and seems not just firesticks that cause problems for Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

*Update*

I disabled CEC on the Amazon Firestick and it seems to have worked I have of course had to start using the firestick remote again because these settings disable all but the volume function on my TV remote if using the Firestick. I also have to press the power button on firestick remote to wake it. But Sonos now working as it should at the moment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Good call. You know I may well try that if what I’ve deactivated on my Firestick doesn’t work I need to remove about 2mm.

If it was my system, I’d trim the plug.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi buzz, yeah I used the optical connection on my old sound base but had to get a cable with a very  compact plug. As you can see from the photo it's very tight between the optical socket and TV body. The Sonos plug pushes against the TV body. Terrible design by Samsung.

The optical connectors are not symmetrical, only one orientation will work.