Answered

New Sonos Arc won't give me Dolby ATMOS

I have spent hours reading all the different questions/answers on this forum regarding this topic but none have corrected my issue. So I thought if I gave some specifics of my setup, there might be a breakthrough! 

TV is a Samsung Class 8 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV (Model: UN82RU8000FXZA)

It does not have eARC but does have ARC which is connected to the Sonos Arc via high speed HDMI. 

The audio settings on the TV are set to Dolby Digital + and the ‘Enable Dolby Atmos’ button is on. According to the TV menu, this is how the settings should be if I want to receive Atmos. 

I’ve tried Disney Plus and Amazon Prime movies that show they are broadcast in Atmos but the most I can ever get to how on my Sonos App is that they are playing in Dolby Digital + and I’ve never been able to get the ATMOS logo to appear. I’ve tried numerous movies and shows to be sure. 

Any thoughts? i purchased the Arc specifically for Atmos and now am disappointed. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 April 2022, 19:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

The Firestick worked! Disney+ is now playing in Atmos! Frustrating that the 'smart’ tv could not do the same thing. 

Userlevel 7

So let me finish up by asking this, what is the cheapest fix for this? I hate adding more tech to what I already have but if it means Disney + will play ATMOS then I’ll give it a try

EDIT: Will the Firestick 4K Max be a possibility? I can pick up one of those today at the local Best Buy

Yes, the Fire TV Stick 4K Max should support Dolby Atmos audio on Disney+ and your TV should be able to pass through the Dolby Atmos audio to the Arc. If you do get the Fire TV Stick, please report back and let us know if it works.

I doubt that the Firestick will work for you because it will need to be plugged into the TV.

ARCANA is a problem solver.

Strange that Disney Plus would claim the movie is Atmos but then not play it in Atmos (Soul, Endgame, Eternals, etc...) Does the app it comes from whether it be on my TV or on an external device really matter, they both pull the data from the same servers. 

Your TV might support Dolby Atmos audio on Disney+ through its internal speakers, but not through a sound bar connected to the HDMI ARC port.

Do you have the latest software installed on your TV? Are all the latest versions of the apps installed?

Rather than focusing on Disney+, you should try to get Dolby Atmos audio on the others apps that are KNOWN to support Dolby Atmos audio on your TV like Prime Video, Netflix, or VUDU. If you can get Atmos audio from any of those apps and not Disney+, then you will know for sure that Atmos is not supported on Disney+ with your specific TV model.

Well I guess it is solved. I purchased a month of Amazon Prime so I could check using the Jack Ryan show and sure enough, Atmos showed up. Did a search for my model tv and Disney + and came across this article: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/dolby-atmos-on-disney-plus/td-p/1851349

It pretty much says there is an issue with Samsung TV’s and the native Disney + app. Looks like they each blame each other. Real bummer because Disney + is what we watch the most of. 

So let me finish up by asking this, what is the cheapest fix for this? I hate adding more tech to what I already have but if it means Disney + will play ATMOS then I’ll give it a try

EDIT: Will the Firestick 4K Max be a possibility? I can pick up one of those today at the local Best Buy

Userlevel 7

Strange that Disney Plus would claim the movie is Atmos but then not play it in Atmos (Soul, Endgame, Eternals, etc...) Does the app it comes from whether it be on my TV or on an external device really matter, they both pull the data from the same servers. 

Your TV might support Dolby Atmos audio on Disney+ through its internal speakers, but not through a sound bar connected to the HDMI ARC port.

Do you have the latest software installed on your TV? Are all the latest versions of the apps installed?

Rather than focusing on Disney+, you should try to get Dolby Atmos audio on the others apps that are KNOWN to support Dolby Atmos audio on your TV like Prime Video, Netflix, or VUDU. If you can get Atmos audio from any of those apps and not Disney+, then you will know for sure that Atmos is not supported on Disney+ with your specific TV model.

@theJamesFamilyFive More than likely, Dolby Atmos isn’t supported on the native Disney+ app on your TV. But Dolby Atmos should be supported on the native Prime Video app and possibly even Netflix and VUDU.

There is very limited Atmos content on Prime Video. Try testing Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, Susperia, or The Tomorrow War.

If you want Dolby Atmos on Netflix, you need a premium subscription.

If you want Dolby Atmos on Disney+, you should consider getting an external media device like a Roku Ultra or Nvidia Shield.

EDIT: Under the Digital Output Audio Format setting, is there an AUTO option you can try?

There is no AUTO option, only PCM, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. On screen instructions say if you want ATMOS, to select the Dolby Digital Plus. 

. Any thoughts? i purchased the Arc specifically for Atmos and now am disappointed. 

However, your disappointment should not be with the Arc. If it is sent Dolby Atmos it will play it.  If it isn't, it cannot. 

you are correct, even the 5.1 has been AMAZING and i’d keep it just for that reason, My disappointment is more in the fact I can’t maximize its capabilities. 

. Any thoughts? i purchased the Arc specifically for Atmos and now am disappointed. 

However, your disappointment should not be with the Arc. If it is sent Dolby Atmos it will play it.  If it isn't, it cannot. 

Userlevel 7

@theJamesFamilyFive More than likely, Dolby Atmos isn’t supported on the native Disney+ app on your TV. But Dolby Atmos should be supported on the native Prime Video app and possibly even Netflix and VUDU.

There is very limited Atmos content on Prime Video. Try testing Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, Susperia, or The Tomorrow War.

If you want Dolby Atmos on Netflix, you need a premium subscription.

If you want Dolby Atmos on Disney+, you should consider getting an external media device like a Roku Ultra or Nvidia Shield.

EDIT: Under the Digital Output Audio Format setting, is there an AUTO option you can try?

Try Amazon’s Tom Clancy Season 1, The Wheel of Time season 1, or The Aeronauts.

Tried these, they too only show Dolby Digital + and not Atmos when playing unfortunately. 

The audio settings on the TV are set to Dolby Digital + and the ‘Enable Dolby Atmos’ button is on. According to the TV menu, this is how the settings should be if I want to receive Atmos. 

Do you mean “to receive Atmos”? What have you set for sound output, to send a signal to the Arc?

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. The sound output settings are set to Dolby Digital + and then there is an option to enable or disable ATMOS, it is enabled. According to the onscreen instructions, these are the settings to send the highest quality out to the Arc

It does not have eARC but does have ARC which is connected to the Sonos Arc via high speed HDMI. 

Are you using the HDMI cable supplied with the Arc?

Are you using the streaming apps built into the TV or an external streamer like an Amazon Fire TV,?

Yes I am using the cable that came with it. Although any HDMI high speed cable should work from what I’ve read. 

Yes, the apps I’m using are all integrated into the television 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Do you mean “to receive Atmos”? What have you set for sound output, to send a signal to the Arc?

Are you using the HDMI cable supplied with the Arc?

Are you using the streaming apps built into the TV or an external streamer like an Amazon Fire TV,?

Try Amazon’s Tom Clancy Season 1, The Wheel of Time season 1, or The Aeronauts.