Setting up a Sonos 5.1 system with Samsung UN65JS8500 SUHD 4K TV's and multiple devices

As part of moving to a new house I just upgraded all our televisions to Samsung UN65JS8500 SUHD 4K TV's. Unlike our old house, however, our new home isn't pre-wired for 5.1 and 7.1.  I am an avid SONOS fan and have quite a few SONOS devices and decided to move to using it exclusively for surround on the TV's (to avoid sheetrock work!) .  However I am looking for advice on setting up the system because many of the TV's will have an Xbox One, PS4, DIRECTV, and possibly and Apple TV. 

I was thinking possibly an optical only switch as a possible solution but liked the HDMI switch option (if it supports a Logitech Harmony universal remote).  However I don't know of an HDMI switch that support HDMI 2.0a and allows for the 4k or HDR pass through.

Thoughts?  Any ideas on a setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge +1
I have the JS8500 and have everything plugged into the TV with the optical out providing 5.1 to the playbar. The Xbox One and PS4 have the option to bitstream out Dolby Digital. It will take blu-ray DTS sources and convert them on the fly and output them to Dolby 5.1. You need to set the TV also to bitstream and when when it detects a 5.1 signal you will be able to select Dolby Digital in the audio menu otherwise it will be greyed out and default to PCM which is what most people get concerned about as most of the menus on game consoles and cable boxes only generate 2.0 sounds its only when the source is 5.1 that you will be able to select the Dolby Digital output. The TV will automatically switch between PCM and 5.1 depending on the input.

I hope this helps you not have to spend a bunch of money on a splitter.
Try looking at Octavia HDMI switch http://www.octavainc.com/Product%20Solutions.html#HDMI_Switch
Badge
Hi, I have a Samsung 4k curve. Sky box, samsung DVD player (use for streaming from my DNLA hard drive). Connected to playbar, sub and 2x play 3s Optical leads and HDMI from all the above to my Octavia HDMI SW4A splitter. One optical lead from Octavia to playbar. The software in the Octavia transforms any audio signals coming into the box (as long as the film/programme has Dolby audio) to be changed into TRUE 5.1'dolby for the Sonos system to play and the sound is awesome. Just make sure you TV, DVD etc settings are correct . You can confirm the sound is 5.1 in your app...... Settings> about my sonos>playbar
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think the requirement of HDMI 2.0a (and likely HDCP 2.2) will be your downfall at this time.

The Octava switch recommended so far makes no mention of HDMI 2.0a support (or even HDMI 2.0 support). It does mention 3840x2160@24Hz, which I think is possible with HDMI 1.4.

I understand being forward-thinking (for new 4K devices that will eventually be available), but I'm pretty sure none of the devices you've mentioned need HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a, and they don't support HDR.
Hi, I have a Samsung 4k curve. Sky box, samsung DVD player (use for streaming from my DNLA hard drive). Connected to playbar, sub and 2x play 3s Optical leads and HDMI from all the above to my Octavia HDMI SW4A splitter. One optical lead from Octavia to playbar. The software in the Octavia transforms any audio signals coming into the box (as long as the film/programme has Dolby audio) to be changed into TRUE 5.1'dolby for the Sonos system to play and the sound is awesome. Just make sure you TV, DVD etc settings are correct . You can confirm the sound is 5.1 in your app...... Settings> about my sonos>playbar
Are you talking about this? http://www.amazon.com/Octava-Audio-switch-Optical-output/dp/B009B2NCOE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Justin, as Mike mentioned the 2.0a standard is not widely spread. The only switches i have seen advertising HDMI2.0 are on Alibaba and shipped from China, which i would be careful with.

A call/trip to a locally owned and well assorted HiFi shop maybe in order where people "know" the supply market.
Try the simple solution first, plug all devices into the TV as well as the play bar optical. New Samsung TVs can pass the 5.1 signal as long as the device (cable boxes and other devices may need to be set to force Dolby output since they default to PCM when they detect a TV on hdmi) is sending a proper surround signal to the TV and the TV is set to not convert optical output to PCM. No need to worry about external switches and standards, keep it simple when possible.
Badge
Total rubbish for a start I have a new curve 65 inch Samsung 8000 series .THAT DOESNT pass 5.1 sound. Secondly if the signal is DTS (as most films use lately )the sound bar can't decode it so again you won't get DD5.1 sound. A good switch like the Octavia will not only pass 5.1 sound for all your components but decode DTS sound for your sound bar to again give you true 5.1 sound
Does adding an XBOX one to this setup solve the problem with audio?

HDMI OUT from XBOXONE to HDMI IN on Samsung mini connect BOX
HDMI IN from XBOXONE to Cable BOX HDMI OUT
Optical cable from Sonos Playbar to XBOX Optical in Port

Will I still be able to hear audio from Netgear, Amazon through the Samsung TV?
I have a Samsung UN60JU7100 with the external connection hub that Samsung provides on newer TVs. All my HDMI sources STB for ATT Uverse, & PS4 connect via HDMI and the optical is connected from the Samsung hub to the Playbar. I was having issues with no DD 5.1 when watching AT&T Uverse cable and found the fix in the cable box settings. I had to switch the output on the STB to surround sound and then I was able to select Dolby Digital on the Samsung TV menu. Now I get DD 5.1 for Cable, Netflix, and PS4 without having to go through a switch. I hope this helps everyone.
System: Sonos Playbar (with sub and surround play 1s) + XBox One + Samsung 8000 Series 65" + Apple TV

HDMI setup
Apple TV > XBox > Samsung One Connect

Optical setup
Sonos playbar > Samsung One Connect

CBF SIGNAL-OCM
Samsung One Connect > TV

TV Settings:
Sound > Select Speaker > Audio out/Optical
Sound > Expert Settings > HDMI Audio Format > Bitstream

XBox Settings:
Display & Sound > Audio output > HDMI Audio > Bitstream out
Display & Sound > Audio output > Bitstream format > Dolby Digital

With that am able to obtain Dolby Digital 5.1 with anything (Netflix, blu ray player) going from the Xbox to the tv (via the Samsung One Connect). And of course also DD5.1 from the apps in the tv like Netflix and YouTube.

Also for controlling playbar with Samsung remote, go to tv and just add a new Hometheater device in the universal control menu. Type sonos as brand and say 'yes' when it ask you if it turned the hometheatr device off. Then go back again to universal control menu and associate the sonos to your XBox Input, it will most likely name it 'Xbox + Sonos' and that should do it. You should be able to control your Sonos volume using the Samsung remote.

Hope this help, took me a good hour to figure it all out. Will update if I find any difficulties. 🆒