Question

Playbar to PC

• 7 September 2015
  • 12 replies

I got a Sonos Playbar today and all my media is played through my PC. I don't use my TV default audio for anything. Is there a way to connect my Playbar to my PC or maybe my PC to my TV so I can use my soundbar. I know if I stream the audio there's going to be delay and I'm trying to avoid that. IS there any solutions to this issue or am I SOL?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Do you have an optical output on your PC?
I have no idea. I see a slot for it on my case but that doesn't mean my soundcard has one.
Might be an idea to find out, if you do you can plug that straight into the Playbar and you won't get any delay, otherwise you'll need HDMI from the PC to the TV and then optical out from the TV to the Playbar.
I see an SPDIF port and I already have an HDMI from the TV to the PC as the TV is my monitor. So am I set either way I run it?
Well, what have you connected the Playbar to?
Neither yet, I need to wait for the Bridge to arrive since my router is on the other end of the house. Recommendations. I'll try just using the TV first but that'd mean messing with my audio channels.
Ok so I've connected it to my PC using the digital input but I'm not getting any sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You may need to look at your sound card settings as to enabling the optical port. Do you know what soundcard you have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok so I've connected it to my PC using the digital input but I'm not getting any sound.

Chris asks a good question. If you let us know the model of soundcard you are using we should be able to help figure out how to get it to output digial audio to the PLAYBAR.

I've moved this discussion into the home theater area so the folks there can help out too.
Can I just confirm, I can connect a soundbar to my PC if its got an optical output I use my PC for nearly all my media, I also have an Xbox One can I connect that also to the soundbar in conjunction with the PC ?

Many Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can I just confirm, I can connect a soundbar to my PC if its got an optical output I use my PC for nearly all my media, I also have an Xbox One can I connect that also to the soundbar in conjunction with the PC ?

Many Thanks

Hi MrNiceHK,,

You should be able to use your computer's optical output to connect to the PLAYBAR.
Badge
I've purchased a second Playbar for my office and can confirm everything works perfectly through the PC SPDIF port including surround sound from my Play:3's. Just make sure your sound card can output Dolby Digital.