Answered

control Arc with Tivo Remote

• 18 January 2023
  • 9 replies

I have a tivo edge and trying to setup the remote to control the volume of the Arc.  The Tivo remote works just fine with my TV - turns on and off and selects the input without issues.  The remote uses IR.  To program the remote to control the arc, the Tivo instructions are to select a A/V device from the Tivo remote setup menu and try the different codes to see what works with the Arc. There is not an option to select any Sonos codes, so you apparently must use a code from another brand,  My research says thet the Denon codes work with the Arc - but not mine!  I have tried all the Denon codes and none of them work. 

My remote is in IR mode and has new batteries.  How do I set up my TIVO remote to control the volume of the arc. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 January 2023, 17:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

There are no “SONOS” IR codes.

It’s a two step process. First, pick a Volume IR code set for TIVO to use, then train the SONOS ARC to use these codes. The code set is arbitrary, just don’t pick a set that controls a nearby unit. If you have multiple IR remotes, use the same IR code set for all of the remotes.

It is possible that there is some IR interference in the room. I had a TV that would interfere with PLAYBAR’s IR control at a certain point in the TV’s warm-up. You can test for this by positioning your body or a cardboard blocker to cast a shadow on the IR sensor, then issue IR commands. Lamps on dimmers and direct or reflected sunlight can cause issues.

As can Plasma TVs (and I’d assume by extension, all TVs, depending on what’s on the screen). IR is great in most circumstances, but does have potentials for difficulty in some uses. 

Right.  Forgot to mention I’ve tried to program the remote with the app dozens of times.  Never works properly.  Actually got the mute button to work - once. Volume up/volume down is still no go. 

Have you experimented with different manufacturers and models?

Are you using TIVO’s CEC?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Have you experimented with different manufacturers and models?

Are you using TIVO’s CEC?

Wow, been a TiVo customer since 1999 and never noticed they added CEC support, thanks!

I have tried several different mfgrs and models with the same result.  Program the remote complete and it doesn't work.  and I have not done anything special to use cec, although my system is set up to wake on tivo button. 

I have a VM TiVo V6 box and as mentioned by @buzz in his post above, I initially used a random IR code which was 0301 (a Sony TV that I don’t own) and that worked fine with the Arc, but these days I use CEC control over HDMI instead.

I have tried several different mfgrs and models with the same result.  Program the remote complete and it doesn't work.  and I have not done anything special to use cec, although my system is set up to wake on tivo button. 

Maybe just ensure the Arc’s IR sensor is enabled in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/[Arc room name]/Use IR’.