Question

Compatability issues between Playbar/Sony Bravia KDL46XBR2

• 11 March 2013
  • 15 replies

Hi Sonos, I just received my Playbar. I have a Sony Bravia 46" (KDL-46XBR2). It receives audio via an HDMI connection from the cable box. It is directly connected to the Playbar via the included optical digital audio cable. As I set up my Playbar, I am getting the message, "Sonos could not detect any audio from the TV." I have tried another optical cable. My TV doesn't necessarily have a "digital audio out" setting in the menu. It only has the option to turn the TV's speaker ON/OFF, though when I had the TV audio output going through component cables to a Play:5, it worked fine. Any troubleshooting steps?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

This is very frustrating. I have placed the optical cords with red lights on both ends from my Sonos Bar to my new Sony Bravia. This isn't rocket science. However none of the above quote "resolutions" have helped
Gayle,

I found a converter on line but since then have bought a new t.v. The converter wasn't expensive and worked great for us. I used it to convert the analog out audio signal to an optical signal in signal for the Sonos. I am sorry though we got rid of it and I can't find the paperwork that came with it. Used the mega tool - Google to find it though. Good Luck.
Mine worked also by plugging the cable into the cable box. However, I use input 7 to watch programs from my firestick. When I switch to input 7, I still get the sound from the cable box and not from input 7. So for me it is critical to connect the cable to my TV. When I do that, I do not get any sound coming through the Playbar. Any advice is much appreciated.
We fixed ours by plugging the connector into the cable box.
Thanks Plumb! I should have been more specific, mine is a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2010. Does not have an Optical IN port only an Optical OUT. Glad to hear this did work for you though. I have an analog to digital converter on order and am hoping it will fix the problem. If not, the Sonos goes back and I guess I get to wait until I get a new TV. Or find a play bar that accepts analog signal.
Hi, I am experiencing the same issue and do not understand the resolution provided. I only have a cable box which is using a hdml connection. The to only has one digital optical out connection which I am attempting to use for the sound bar but this isn't working. I am not sure what to connect my cable box to?
Yes, this work around worked for us on our KDL-46XBR2
Hello Everyone,

The Sony XBR2 does not have the ability to send audio via the optical connection from HDMI sources.

Please try the following: Connect your devices (cable box and bluray players) via an optical connection.

Connecting the sources via an optical connection will in turn send the signal through the optical OUT connection and to the PLAYBAR.

Let us know if you run into further issue and we'll be happy to take a look with you. 

So, did this work? I have a similar Sony and identical issues regarding this thread. Am curious as to what results you had.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Everyone,

The Sony XBR2 does not have the ability to send audio via the optical connection from HDMI sources.

Please try the following: Connect your devices (cable box and bluray players) via an optical connection.

Connecting the sources via an optical connection will in turn send the signal through the optical OUT connection and to the PLAYBAR.

Let us know if you run into further issue and we'll be happy to take a look with you. 
Folks did anyone get this to work?   I have the same TV and am about to purchase but not likely if it ain't gonna work.

Would love confirmation from Sonos if the Sony SXBR2 passes 5.1 via optical or not.  I know many TVs suck at this.
Anyone resolve this issue?
Same problem here. Yes the light is on very dim but wont connect
I am having the same problem and yes, the light is coming out of the cable but still will not connect
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello, Please hook up your optical cable to your TV and see if there is a red light that is coming out of the other end. A red transmitting light will appear at the end of the cable once it is connected to an Optical Output. If you do not see this light, please check the port and make sure isn't anything blocking the connection. Please also make sure you remove the plastic ends on the tips of the optical cables.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello, Please ensure that when you plug the cable into the TV that you see a red light on the other end. A red transmitting light will appear at the end of the cable once it is connected to an Optical Output. If you do not see this, please check the port itself and make sure there isn't anything blocking the connection. Please also ensure that you removed any small pieces of plastic that may have been on the end of the cable.