Question

unable to use google assistant to play music from sonos

• 3 July 2019
  • 6 replies

I have a play:1 and have added the Google assistant voice service successfully to the Sonos app. I linked everything and for a success message. I can see my speaker in the Google home app.

When i go to Services->Music in the Google home app, Sonos is not available as a choice. Only Google play music and YouTube music, and no default provider are.options. below that are Deezer and Spotify neither of which I have. The last option says, Other Music Services but it is not clickable.

When I try to tell google to "play Phish from Sonos on the patio speaker" it always attempts to play from Google play music but then gives me this error "Sorry, it looks like you need to log in again on Google play music on the Sonos app". So I do that, it says it's successful then o try again and same problem.

How do I get google assistant to recognize Sonos as a music provider and properly link my accounts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +2
I have identified and yes they have the same music services. Alexa and GH have spotify as the default choice. As for whether Alexa or GA is better. Right now the only one that wins in sonos for me is the one that works....period. For me that's Alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi both

I have you differences between Alexa and GA - sorry not much help for you both! Can you make sure that GA, Alexa and Sonos all have the same music services identified?
Userlevel 2
Google Assistant is 100 times smarter than Alexa and if I had a choice I would use Google Assistant to play over Spotify then use Alexa to play on Spotify. But if anyone is listening to these conversations from inside Sonos I would hope they rectify this and allow to play from Google play library, not just paid Google subscription or Spotify
Badge +2
I have same issue in Canada
I have a play 5 Gen1 and Playbar. I can not get GH to work at all. The speakers show in GH but Google tells me it can't do that...
I am using Google home to issue commands to play in sonos.
My Google home has no issues to play from spotify and my sonos has no issues to play from spotify when I use the app on IOS.
I have went back to Alexa for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a play:1 and have added the Google assistant voice service successfully to the Sonos app. I linked everything and for a success message. I can see my speaker in the Google home app.

When i go to Services->Music in the Google home app, Sonos is not available as a choice. Only Google play music and YouTube music, and no default provider are.options. below that are Deezer and Spotify neither of which I have. The last option says, Other Music Services but it is not clickable.

When I try to tell google to "play Phish from Sonos on the patio speaker" it always attempts to play from Google play music but then gives me this error "Sorry, it looks like you need to log in again on Google play music on the Sonos app". So I do that, it says it's successful then o try again and same problem.

How do I get google assistant to recognize Sonos as a music provider and properly link my accounts?

Hi

Sonos is not a music provider and will never be listed under Music Services. I assume that you can play Sonos via the Sonos App? Also, I assume that you have a Sonos One (With Alexa & GA), rather than a Play:1 (Without Alexa & GA)?

Please open your Sonos App and make a note of the Music Sources that you've added to the Sonos App - these same accounts now need to be added in the Google Home App as Music Services (Select the Play button in the menu bar in the bottom of the screen and then select the 'Music' button. Next try the command 'Hey Google, Play phish on [Sonos Device Name]'
Userlevel 2
Same problem stated recently by me. Let me know if you find fix