the operating system is not adequate for running sonos controller

• 19 October 2012
  • 21 replies

i can not install desktop controller on my laptop

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello, Here are the Operating System requirements to run the Sonos Controller Software. If the computer does not meet the requirements then another device can be used as a controller. If you have an iDevice running IOS 4 or higher, an Android phone or tablet, then those devices can be used to control the Sonos System. MAC Software Requirements Mac running OS X v 10.6, v10.7, v10.8 PC Software Requirements PC running Windows® XP SP3 or higher, Windows Vista™, Windows 7 Latest Windows service packs recommended
my PC is running windows XP
You have to install SP3. You just be running an earlier Service Pack.
this my be the problem ,i will install SP3. thank you.
Badge
The operating system is not adequate for running sonos controller: I am running Win XP SP3. I can't install the controller because I get this message. I think I have installed a wireless dongle
The operating system is not adequate for running sonos controller: I am running Win XP SP3. I can't install the controller because I get this message. I think I have installed a wireless dongle

Microsoft ceased support for Windows XP April 8, 2014. Surely you don't expect Sonos to still support an OS that the OS manufacturer themselves have not supported in over 3 years?
Badge
It said that it would run on Win XP when I bought the equipment. I do expect it to work because it was sold to me with that understanding. It said the same thing for Vista. That, then, is probably why it said that.
I'm afraid expecting electronics to remain compatible with ancient operating systems while simultaneously being able to be updated to new functionality is not realistic. There are no apps or integrated systems that do this. For modern features in an application to be updated, one must have at the very least an OS that is still supported by the manufacturer.
Badge
You had better change your Amazon.com advertising, then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Who are you referring to at You? jgatie is not a Sonos employee they, and the majority of us, are here to try and help fellow customers. Hopefully one of the Sonos staff will clarify if the latest controller version is compatible with XP. However for security reasons alone I would consider an upgrade to your PC OS.
Badge
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm uninitiated in all this. I spent two days preparing the Win XP computer to run the controller. I even purchased an USB WiFi dongle for it.;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos product support site specifies Windows 7 or higher:-
Clicky
Badge
I am currently exploring the controllers use on a Win 7 machine. I got everything set up but the controller will not let me show it where the music library is located. Those options are grayed out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you considered a basic Android tablet or phone. I got an amazon Fire tablet for less that £30 that I use as a controller? It can be a pain to have to upgrade PCs in order to use something you have just bought but I have encountered this with almost every PC attached product I have bought. Being more that two versions behind on MS products always causes pain.

Even if your music is stored on your XP PC Sonos should be able to access that on your LAN, it's just the controller that wont work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you checked for updates within the Sonos app in your windows 7 controller? Some things are greyed out if there is an update pending. It's under the manage menu
Badge
What you just said confirms my fear. It does go through my computer AND my network logging everything. I don't want my computer open to being viewed all it has. I want my privacy. I suppose that will cause me to fail in setting up and using SONOS!
Badge
I've tried to update but it will not work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That's true for most "Internet Of Things" devices :(

Where is your music library stored. Is the Windows 7 device attached to the network the Sonos is attached too?
Badge
The situation has changed this AM. I was able to get the update to run. I have linked it to my account at Sonos. It looks like I will be able to tell it where my library is located.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Cool, once your Sonos set up is up and running it does not need to be connected to the internet if all your music is local. This will mean no internet radio though.
Badge
I have it working! Great! Thanks for your help.