Potential Class Action

Userlevel 1

When the speakers connect, they’re great. But when they don’t, I spend too much time, much unsuccessful, trying to connect them. And it is a common issue. Getting help requires payment even though it is Sonos’s fault. Sonos seems to invest everything into speaker performance and no in the connection software. With all these problems, is there a class action?

21 replies

Class action suits threatened?   Hundreds.  Actually filed?  One.  And the "class" consisted of one owner, who lost the suit.  Seems a lot of the threats don't pass muster once an actual lawyer gets involved.

Also, if someone tries to charge you for Sonos support, you are getting scammed.  Be sure to only call official support lines listed on this site.  Don't Google Sonos support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you are dumb enough to pay for fake Sonos support I guess you are dumb enough to think of a class action lawsuit.

Plus of course the actual problem is going to be the OP’s local network, maybe a class action lawsuit against crappy router manufacturers would be a better idea ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can always call Sonos Support directly, without any ‘charge’ for support. 

But there liars and blame network even when have very strong WiFi network it's Sonos issue they need taking to court!!!!!

Good luck with that! A strong WiFi signal can still have issues, including duplicate IP addresses across your network, WiFi noise and other interference, blocking electrical appliances (e.g., microwave), some mesh networks use different subnets on satellite WiFi units, I could go on 🤔

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been trying to contact Sonos Support directly for about 3 weeks straight…

The 1800 phone number listed in Australia states (paraphrased) “There is no Sonos Support available on the phone at this point in time. Support is available online”.

The website has a ‘Start a chat’ button. When I press it I get an endless loading screen which never resolves… much like half the albums I can no longer stream through YouTube Music when loaded through the app (but which work fine natively in the YT Music app and can even be called up on my voice activated speakers).

Why didn't I think of that? Maybe because before going to all that trouble someone might know if one was started already? I hope that answers your question. 

In the history of my participation on this forum (since 2008), there have been hundreds of threads, and thousands of posts inquiring and/or threatening class action lawsuits.  So far, only one of those has resulted in an actual suit.  The “class” in that suit was a single person (he lost).  That should tell you about the expected success in suing a company because your ability to use your audio system is degraded by an app release. 

I don’t get the logic. The fact that one person has lost a suit some years ago doesn’t automatically mean that all future actions will be lost, too. Would also be interesting to know for what reasons this person went to court. I doubt that he/she sued Sonos exactly for the same reasons.

In the end it’s up to a lawyer to decide whether a potential class action is likely to be successful. 

I assure you that within the hundreds of calls for a class action suit, degraded performance and missing features on a new app were well represented.  As to the one who did “succeed” (if a one man “class” is actually success), it was over the abandoning of the CR100 controller, something which had actual damages ($300 damages, but they were actual damages).. 

But the bottom line is, stop threatening, stop speculating, go see a lawyer.  Only they can tell you if the suit is viable (and even they aren’t always correct).  Until then, all this faux outrage is just that, faux outrage, nothing but shouting at the clouds (and I will continue to call it out as such). 

Badge +1

I don’t get the logic. The fact that one person has lost a suit some years ago doesn’t automatically mean that all future actions will be lost, too. Would also be interesting to know for what reasons this person went to court. I doubt that he/she sued Sonos exactly for the same reasons.

In the end it’s up to a lawyer to decide whether a potential class action is likely to be successful. 

If no lawyers have ever considered that a case against Sonos has any chance of winning, there’s the logic. Perhaps if the new app update had inadvertently turned off someone’s life support machine, there might be a case to answer.

At this point Sonos is saying they will fix everything. (ha ha). It does seem unlikely a lawyer would take the case. But think of it this way, if you bought a tv for $1,000 that said it could get Netflix and that was the sole reason you bought it and then 6 months later you could only get Amazon prime shouldn't there be some recourse? We all know if enough people threaten a class action law suite it may be enough to pressure Sonos to fix there app. 

But there liars and blame network even when have very strong WiFi network it's Sonos issue they need taking to court!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

When the speakers connect, they’re great. But when they don’t, I spend too much time, much unsuccessful, trying to connect them. And it is a common issue. Getting help requires payment even though it is Sonos’s fault. Sonos seems to invest everything into speaker performance and no in the connection software. With all these problems, is there a class action?

Not that I’ve heard about. 

Who charges, and how much, to provide help fixing problems? Are the problems down to Sonos hardware/software - in which case how do these folk fix the problem? If, on the other hand, the issues are down to some users’ network setup - which they can fix - why is this Sonos’s fault? 

Badge +1

Would be nice to know if there is one started before contacting a lawyer. Anyone know? 

Would be nice to know if there is one started before contacting a lawyer. Anyone know? 

Why not hire a lawyer to find out if there's a class action under way?  

Badge +1

Why didn't I think of that? Maybe because before going to all that trouble someone might know if one was started already? I hope that answers your question. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Badge +1

Why not hire a lawyer to find out if there's a class action under way?  

In the history of my participation on this forum (since 2008), there have been hundreds of threads, and thousands of posts inquiring and/or threatening class action lawsuits.  So far, only one of those has resulted in an actual suit.  The “class” in that suit was a single person (he lost).  That should tell you about the expected success in suing a company because your ability to use your audio system is degraded by an app release. 

I literally said “Before contacting a lawyer” and the reply is  “hire a lawyer” . You have to much time on your hands. Peace out. Oh and sorry to the people in this forum whos time I wasted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If no lawyers have ever considered that a case against Sonos has any chance of winning, there’s the logic. Perhaps if the new app update had inadvertently turned off someone’s life support machine, there might be a case to answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

But think of it this way, if you bought a tv for $1,000 that said it could get Netflix and that was the sole reason you bought it and then 6 months later you could only get Amazon prime shouldn't there be some recourse? 

There would be, under a consumer rights act within that specific country. But that would be based on being mis-sold something, where a core selling point and purpose has been permanently altered or removed.

The Sonos app is temporarily non-functioning in certain areas, with the company working to remedy this. Any court in the land would throw this out, given it has been just three weeks, and Sonos has shown on a weekly basis it is working to put this right. There is simply no case to answer.

We all know if enough people threaten a class action law suite it may be enough to pressure Sonos to fix there app. 

They ARE fixing their app. The latest update was on Weds - it’s their fourth update in 16 days!

I was in a law suite once.  Nice decor, elegant furniture, and the view was outstanding!

Badge +1

But think of it this way, if you bought a tv for $1,000 that said it could get Netflix and that was the sole reason you bought it and then 6 months later you could only get Amazon prime shouldn't there be some recourse? 

There would be, under a consumer rights act within that specific country. But that would be based on being mis-sold something, where a core selling point and purpose has been permanently altered or removed.

The Sonos app is temporarily non-functioning in certain areas, with the company working to remedy this. Any court in the land would throw this out, given it has been just three weeks, and Sonos has shown on a weekly basis it is working to put this right. There is simply no case to answer.

We all know if enough people threaten a class action law suite it may be enough to pressure Sonos to fix there app. 

They ARE fixing their app. The latest update was on Weds - it’s their fourth update in 18 days!

Yes they are, and the tremendous backlash from the Sonos  community has put pressure on them to restore features they weren't going to restore, at least not in the near future.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I assure you that within the hundreds of calls for a class action suit, degraded performance and missing features on a new app were well represented.  As to the one who did “succeed” (if a one man “class” is actually success), it was over the abandoning of the CR100 controller, something which had actual damages ($300 damages, but they were actual damages).. 

But the bottom line is, stop threatening, stop speculating, go see a lawyer.  Only they can tell you if the suit is viable (and even they aren’t always correct).  Until then, all this faux outrage is just that, faux outrage, nothing but shouting at the clouds (and I will continue to call it out as such). 

jgatie, you should wright a book titled “Things I know nothing about” I would buy it. I’m sure it would make a great read.

I assume that you mean write? 🤔🤔

Badge +1

jgatie, you should wright a book titled “Things I know nothing about” I would buy it. I’m sure it would make a great read.

I assume that you mean write? 🤔🤔

LOL Yes Maybe I should have paid more attention in school.